No announcement yet.

1901 Wiggert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with you Herb about what you say about Mack. Right now most of what I said is just theory. I would love to know more too!
    I have asked Perry's son William more than once what the Waverley connection was and he didn't have a clue. Was it just a name Perry pulled out of thin air? Don't know.

I came across a newspaper article the other day describing the theft of a motorcycle in Milwaukee in august of 1910. As follows;

New "Comet"-1910 make, olive green, spring frame, spring fork, patent belt tightener. Engine No. 59. Has no license number.

Man suspected described as 24 years old, 5 ft. 4 in. tall, 130 pounds, slim built, dark complexion, dark hair, pointed nose, dark eyes close together, smooth face, light grey telescope hat, blue suit with invisible stripe, trousers torn on left knee.

Above stolen night of August 11th. Arrest and hold for burglary.
    J.T. Jamesec
    Chief of Police

Was this the new V-twin Comet mentioned in their brochure?
    At least we now know what the color is supposed to be. We can assume at least 59 motors were built. Did this model have the
    same suspension as Mack's 1912 P.E.M.? This type of suspension
    has been described as being designed by Frank Kenzler, Perry E. Mack and Frank Kitlitschko. All we know for sure is that the patent
    was issued to Kitlitschko in 1912 for the suspension.

Hopefully someday something will turn up in the public record that will answer all our questions. Or maybe a diary will be found.
    Wouldn't that be great.

Dick

Comment

Originally posted by Earl

I did a search on the Dunn County Historical Society web page. They have a number of online exhibits. Here is the link for some Harry Miller information. Very interesting reading !!!

http://discover-net.net/~dchs/history/exmiller.html
      That is interesting stuff! I don't think I've heard of Miller's motorcycle before and it would GREAT if a photo of it exists. Note, however, the early stuff is very vague as to exact dates, etc., as is so often the case with "first" claims.

Comment

Not to knock this thread off kilter, but I can't help but wonder if there were ever homebuilts put together out of the early Harley motors that were sold in the Company's early years???

Herb have you got any ideas???

Comment

Originally posted by c.o.
          Not to knock this thread off kilter, but I can't help but wonder if there were ever homebuilts put together out of the early Harley motors that were sold in the Company's early years???

Herb have you got any ideas???
          There were some. In the registrations I've seen bikes with a guy's own name for the bike but then with "Harley-Davidson engine" noted in the entry too. In fact, didn't Jurassic or someone post a photo of a homebuilt with a H-D motor on another tread?

Comment

Originally posted by pem
            I agree with you Herb about what you say about Mack. Right now most of what I said is just theory. I would love to know more too!
            I have asked Perry's son William more than once what the Waverley connection was and he didn't have a clue. Was it just a name Perry pulled out of thin air? Don't know.

I came across a newspaper article the other day describing the theft of a motorcycle in Milwaukee in august of 1910. As follows;

New "Comet"-1910 make, olive green, spring frame, spring fork, patent belt tightener. Engine No. 59. Has no license number.

Man suspected described as 24 years old, 5 ft. 4 in. tall, 130 pounds, slim built, dark complexion, dark hair, pointed nose, dark eyes close together, smooth face, light grey telescope hat, blue suit with invisible stripe, trousers torn on left knee.

Above stolen night of August 11th. Arrest and hold for burglary.
            J.T. Jamesec
            Chief of Police

Was this the new V-twin Comet mentioned in their brochure?
            At least we now know what the color is supposed to be. We can assume at least 59 motors were built. Did this model have the
            same suspension as Mack's 1912 P.E.M.? This type of suspension
            has been described as being designed by Frank Kenzler, Perry E. Mack and Frank Kitlitschko. All we know for sure is that the patent
            was issued to Kitlitschko in 1912 for the suspension.

Hopefully someday something will turn up in the public record that will answer all our questions. Or maybe a diary will be found.
            Wouldn't that be great.

Dick
            Somebody will eventually turn up more info on Perry's missing years. At least I hope so! That early extra-Harley Milwaukee stuff is pretty vague and died out early. Nobody but nobody hunted up the early players to get their stories. What a shame. Almost a crime I'd say. That stuff about Frank Kittlitsch was very vague -- and then BANG -- suddenly there he was!

Comment

sprung fork

Attached Files

Comment

Egads, that fork! => Frank Kittlischko's ghost!

Comment

Wiggert Motorcycle Update

I spent sometime in LaCrosse recently at the library and Historical Society. I found addresses for most everybody involved with Wiggert from the 1901 time period. No luck. Most everything as far as buildings is long gone with possibly Frank Stuttens house still remaining. Completely struck out at the historical society. However the weather was perfect and I enjoyed a relaxing ride in the coulee country. Some of the best roads I've
                  ever ridden.

Dick Werner

Comment

Originally posted by pem View Post
                    I spent sometime in LaCrosse recently at the library and Historical Society. I found addresses for most everybody involved with Wiggert from the 1901 time period. No luck. Most everything as far as buildings is long gone with possibly Frank Stuttens house still remaining. Completely struck out at the historical society. However the weather was perfect and I enjoyed a relaxing ride in the coulee country. Some of the best roads I've
                    ever ridden.

Dick Werner
                    Too bad you didn't find anything more. The newspapers are probably the last hope, or did you glean those already? If Wiggert really was 1901, it would be history book material. The machine itself is probably rusting in some coulee country ravine farm junkpile waiting for you to find it!

Did you get up to the Mindoro Cut yet?

I imagine today you're on the road to Milwaukee and the Grand Opening of the HOG Museum there, eh?
                    Herbert Wagner
                    AMCA 4634
                    =======
                    The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

I checked the local newspapers last winter. We had days where it was 25 below zero so
                      sitting in a warm library was pretty nice. Unfortunetly I was unable to find anything to do
                      with the Wiggert. I did find some leads on the Harry Miller motorcycle that I want to follow up on yet this summer.

I'm gonna have to past on the Hog Museum for now. I don't live as close as I used to so it will be a special trip to Milwaukee when I do. I might even have to spring for a motel room.
                      And I'm pretty cheap.

I'm waiting to hear from somebody who has been there to see how HD handled their early
                      history in the new museum. I'm interested to see how they spun it.

later

Comment

Originally posted by pem View Post
                        I checked the local newspapers last winter. We had days where it was 25 below zero so
                        sitting in a warm library was pretty nice. Unfortunetly I was unable to find anything to do
                        with the Wiggert. I did find some leads on the Harry Miller motorcycle that I want to follow up on yet this summer.

I'm gonna have to past on the Hog Museum for now. I don't live as close as I used to so it will be a special trip to Milwaukee when I do. I might even have to spring for a motel room.
                        And I'm pretty cheap.

I'm waiting to hear from somebody who has been there to see how HD handled their early
                        history in the new museum. I'm interested to see how they spun it.

later
                        Oh well, at least we know the Wiggert existed and can add it to our list of early Wisconsin motorcycles. That's more than we knew before! Good luck with Miller. That sounds like a promising angle. I think Jerry Wieland mentioned him and Ole in the past.

Yeah, I can't say when I'll make the HOG Museum myself. The price of gas plus they want $16 to get in. I wonder if they'd let you pitch a tent and camp out on the lawn? Of course the "hood" around there might not be too friendly at night. I also wonder how they handled the early history, and all of their history. Sooner or later we'll find out if someone will take the chrome 3-wheeler and ride down there!
                        Herbert Wagner
                        AMCA 4634
                        =======
                        The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

Working...
                        X