Overhead Cam Excelsior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pete Gagan
    Continued: The system threw me out for some reason.
    Anyway, the bike was officially started today, and sounds more powerful than any motorcycle of that era. It has all bevel driven valve gear, and magneto like a Cyclone, but differs in that the porting is much larger and better flowing, and the combusion chamber shape is far more modern in nature, the valve gear is stronger, and the valve angle is 67 degrees. Compression ratio is 10:1, and the engine is expected to produce in excess of 50BHP. The all up weight is 176 lbs. No brakes, and no clutch.
    See it at Wauseon, Hebron, and Davenport, all going well. I'll also have it at the Empire Road Run, but will be riding a more pedestrian Nimbus on the road.
    Pete Gagan
    Can't wait to see the Excelsior recreation at Wauseon. And we hope you have enough room to bring along the Pennington.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd3aTiqiLeA

OK! Some video clips are starting to come in now! Sound quality is good!

Comment

All I can say is WOW!!!! That thing is gonna snort!!!!!.........

Comment

AMAZING !

Comment

Bonneville??

Comment

That's an idea now isn't John...........

Comment

Bonneville is a possibility for next year. A new boardtrack class? No brakes might be a problem, but I'll make like Burt Monroe.
                I've also thought a steam record on the 1896 Roper might be in order, simply because no-one has thought of that before. Its all good fun, isn't it?
                Pete Gagan

Comment

Will the bike be raced at Davenport this year?

Another video clip
                  http://www.youtube.com/v/KpLSLd48qOM

Comment

That is absolutely amazing.

Comment

and another clip. This one is good with Petes intro history talk.
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEZUB0QEKK8

Comment

That clip made it almost like being there.........almost.. Thanks!!!

Comment

Did someone say Pennington?

The Cyclone-inspired Ex OHC is some hot baby and no mistake. Motor speed technology sure ran ahead of the rest of the bike. Maybe speed was all they thought about and didn't care about the rest. Of course I know this is a racer, but the motor seems wildly modern and a contrast to the rest of the bike.

On paper the OHC Ex might sound more impressive but we won't know for sure until one goes head to head against the fabulous "yellow devil" Cyclone.

Can the OHC Ex beat Andrew Strand's OHC Cyclone?

Comment

A race would be an awesome sight to see. I don't think Pete has answered us yet as to whether it's going to tear up the track at Davenport. That event alone could convince me to make the pilgrimage down there........

Comment

I saw the bike at Hebron and photographed it for a full feature in an upcoming issue of American Iron Magazine.

The bike is beautiful, but we never did get to hear it run there. Oh well....

Comment

Pic I found
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X