No announcement yet.

Anybody know which race track this is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody know which race track this is?

Found this photo on Ebay. Sold before I could bid. Darn! First photo that had Waverley in the photo. Most likely from 1910/1911 in Wisconsin. It's not the State Fair track I believe. Could be the Janesville track or Cambridge or ? Anybody know which track? I think it might be an original photo but with AI now who knows. Thanks
    Dick s-l1600 resize 3.jpg

There was a track in Racine Wi too Here are a few Mitchell motorcycles at the track.
    Attached Files

Comment

Don't know offhand Dick, but maybe this 'awesome link' with some looking, will reveal the track's identity?

*M.A.D.*

Comment

Thanks guys. Now I will spend all day going through that website. Looks really interesting.

Comment

Dick, I think that I stumbled across the answer to which race track this is. I don't believe it is a Wisconsin track, I think we're looking at Hawthorne Race Course in Cicero Illinois. Focus on the details of the scoring tower, race time clock and the score board in the two photos below.

In the auction listing there were three photos available, the first photo below is one of them.

ebaylistpic.jpg

The following photo is found at the Chicago History Museum, identified as Hawthorne and dated 1910.

1910Hawthorne.jpg

Follow up edit, I think the ebay listing photos would date May 1911. The May 1910 race results have no mention of Waverley, but in May 1911 Ralph Sporleder takes the honors in the 30.50 single class aboard a Waverley.
          Last edited by badger34; 02-19-2024, 02:26 PM.

Comment

By golly you hit it right on the nose. Thanks a lot. This was probably only the second race for the Waverley prototype. I believe the man with the white shirt and cap is R.A. Thom who worked for Harley-Davidson previously and for the Evinrude Marine Engine Company in the engine department. Must have taken the train from Milwaukee to Chicago to Cicero. It is so cool that information still shows up after all these years. You are a digger for history. Keep it up. Now if we only had a photo from that race in 1905 of Perry on his Harley-Davidson at the cement bicycle track in Garfield Park. I've checked at the Chicago Historical Society and local Chicago news papers with out success. Never thought about the museum. I'll have to check there now. Again, thanks for you help.

Comment

Dick,
              When you first posted this request I spent 3-4 hours searching my files in an attempt to identify the track but came up with nothing, I guess the trackside details stuck with me because on Sunday when I located the 1910 Hawthorne photo I recognized those details immediately. I don't have any H-D Mtr Co info on R.A. Thom but I'll do some searching, I assume he's the same individual identified in the 1913 Jefferson photos. In the photo you posted above I think the person standing behind the Indian racer looking directly at the camera in gray sweater and cap looks to be Ray Comstock who is also pictured in the 1913 Jefferson photos. As for my perseverance, I keep digging and more often than not find what I am after. On the July 1905 Garfield Park race I've only located newspaper and trade magazine accounts of the events with no photos.
              Last edited by badger34; 02-20-2024, 03:25 PM.

Comment

I agree on Ray Comstock. I'm also sure the rider is Ralph Sporleder but he is obscured. While going through my files yesterday I came across an article I forgot I had. Ralph was racing Harley-Davidson's as early as 1906. So that is his connection to Perry and Waverley motorcycles and how he ended up on the incorporation paperwork for the Waverley Mfg. Co. in 1910. And as far as the Indian race bike I believe that is another Waverley prototype. Notice the guy holding another Waverley banner. There is a 1911 newspaper article form Cambridge, Wi. where they say there were two Kenzler-Waverley racers at a race meet. I'm sure both were prototype Waverley motorcycles using 1909/10 Indian frames. No production Kenzler-Waverley motorcycles were ever built. Much less pre-production. ​ R.A.Thom

Comment

I only notice Ralph Sporleder onboard a Waverley named in the 1911 Hawthorne race results. What I see in that photo is the near cycle is a blanked twin with the front cylinder removed and I think the additional Waverley banner you refer to is pinned to Ralph Sporleder's right thigh. In the 1910 and 1911 Sporleder appearances with Waverley at the WI State Fair Grounds Ralph along with other riders appear to have race numbers pinned to their thighs.

1911hawthornegroup.jpg

Comment

I see what you are talking about with your enhanced photo. Good job bringing out the details. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X