No announcement yet.

Unpublished early HD history documents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was going through my files and found the article from the December 1910 Wisconsin Motorist talking about S.(Seymor) Lacy Crolius leaving the Waverley Mfg. Co.
    Attached Files

Comment

I have to wonder if that 'play on words' in the second page was intentional. Jerry

Originally posted by pem View Post
      I was going through my files and found the article from the December 1910 Wisconsin Motorist talking about S.(Seymor) Lacy Crolius leaving the Waverley Mfg. Co.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Wieland View Post
        I have to wonder if that 'play on words' in the second page was intentional. Jerry
        Hi Jerry, I guess I don't know what you are referring to.

Dick

Comment

I believe it was the "pushing the Harleys" he is referring to...
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
            I believe it was the "pushing the Harleys" he is referring to...
            Thanks

Here are some ads for the HD motors. First is from 10-01-1905 The Cycle and Automobile Trade Journal. Second is also from 1905. Third is from Popular Mechanics Feb. 1909. Herb proved that the first ad from HD, Januarary 1905, was not for a motorcycle but for a motor. What I found unusual was that they were still advertising motors for sale in 1909. I wonder now how many Wisconsin home built motorcycles I found in the 1909-1911 registrations actually had a HD motor. Apparently back then back yard builders or small shops were building bikes just as they are now.

I found two registrations from 1910, one from a John Brandt of 1179 16th St., Ser# 7, and another from Arthur Beng 1272 Teutonia Ave., Ser# 708, that record they had put a Merkel Motor in a Wagner frame. Both registered only days apart in August and had reg. #'s 1118 and 1132 respectively. Ser# 7 said it had a 2 1/2 hp motor.
            Attached Files

Comment

Here is the info from an ad from the Cycle and automobile Trade Journal, Vol. #4, October 1, 1906, page 322.

I'm assuming this tricar had the two wheels in the front. Walter won the first race on a tricar against a single. I wouldn't think a tricar would have been faster than a single.

And he beat Ralph Sporleder. And if you remember Ralph was one of the original signers of the incorporation papers for the Waverley Mfg. Co. in 1910 along with Lacy Crolius.

In the 5 mile race Walter set a state record for the fastest 5 mile distance at that time. On a tricar?

Does anybody have a photo of a 1906 HD three wheeler?
              Attached Files
              Last edited by pem; 09-26-2018, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Thanks for posting that article. That explains a lot. Sidecars make more sense. The article also explains how a sidecar beat a single.

Thanks a lot

Comment

The first attachment is an article that was sent to me recently. It was from the Bicycle World and Motorcycle Review of May 11, 1912. Another connection to HD? Perry Mack's obituary I have posted elsewhere in the past. In May 1912 Perry might already be gone from the Waverley Mfg. Co. in Jefferson, Wi. only 3 months since the release of his P.E.M. motorcycle. I think Frank Kitlitschko Jr. was appointed superintendent at Waverley Mfg. Co. in May, 1912. For sure by the fall of 1912 Perry is gone and making/selling his new Mack Motors. I think that there was a bigger connection between Perry and the Comet motorcycle and HD. The Comet used the spring frame before Perry used it on his P.E.M. In 1908 Frank Kitlitschko Jr. was building the Comet motorcycle only a couple blocks from HD on the north side of Milwaukee.

All these motorcycle people in the early 1900's must have known each other in Milwaukee and most likely had a beer together talking about motorcycles. I can picture them walking down the streets trying to avoid all the horse sh!t while heading for a tavern to talk about the latest issue of the Cycle and Automobile Trade Journal or the Bicycling World and Motorcycle Review.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Walter Davidson certainly had the sporting blood. I wonder when he gave up competition, as I'm sure the business quickly grew to steal all his spare time.
                    Eric Smith
                    AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by pem View Post
                      Some people believe that Bruce's 1905 might even be older than the Archives bike. And his runs for crying out loud. I think thats pretty remarkable.
                      Bruce rode his bike from his Ohio home to the front steps of the MoCo. Neither the company's Historian or Curator would walk out to see it.
                      Be sure to visit;
                      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

I can't help ya there Eric. The person who would know is Herb. Walter was a go getter in his early days.

Chris, I think I might have some photos of that somewhere. I won't post them without talking to the person I got them from. I always thought that was kinda rude that nobody came out of the Juneau St. building to look at a running 1905 HD that was just ridden a couple hundred miles. On their 100th Anniversary for cripes sake!

Comment

581 miles to the factory I think

Comment

The first scan is one of the photos I had made from the glass plate negatives Herb found in the basement of the Milwaukee County Historical Society. All those negatives are now in the HD archives. If I remember correctly they are Becker, Ollerman and Thoms at the State Fair track in West Allis in 1912.

The next is an article from the Wisconsin Motorist magazine by our buddy Lacy Crolius.

The last is a cover from a typical Wisconsin Motorist magazine. Beautiful artwork. I don't know the name of the artist. These magazines had a ton of info for everything with a motor back in the day. Great articles and photos. I believe there is a complete run of these magazines at the Smithsonian or Library of Congress and a partial run at the Milwaukee County Historical Society.
                            Attached Files

Comment

You are correct. Comstock went on to race Perry's motorcycles. He is the first racer in this photo.

Sorry, I can't find the second page right now. I'm sure I have it somewhere. So here is a photo of L.C. Rosenkranz from Aug 1912. I don't remember seeing many photos of him as he was usually behind the camera.
                              Attached Files

Comment

The Milwaukee Motorcycle Club circa 1909/10. A lot of prominent names from the Milwaukee motorcycle scene. By October 1911 they are disbanded. I wonder what could have caused that. Politics? Fighting? ?
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by pem; 09-29-2018, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X