Comet Motorcycle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comet

Well that didn't work. I'll try it again.
    Attached Files

Comment

Comet

Another one. From the March 1910 Wisconsin Motorist magazine.
      Attached Files

Comment

Comet

This ad shows the Comet with the same leaf spring suspension used on Perry Mack's P.E.M. motorcycle in 1912. By the way, I found a patent that says this frame and suspension was patented by Frank Kitlitsch. Kitlitsch(spelled Kitlitschko in 1910)was president of the Comet Motor Co. In 1910. In 1912 he was working for the Waverley Mfg. Co. in Jefferson, Wi. while Perry Mack was president of Waverley. More confusion. There are at least two instances where Perry Mack is said to have designed the suspension frame on his 1912 P.E.M. Now who do you believe?
        Attached Files

Comment

Comet

And then I always thought Comet Motor Co. went out of business in 1910. Wrong, there were still ads for Comet in the Hartford, Wi. Times Press in 1911. And then I found this photo last fall.
          It shows a Jefferson motorcycle parked in front of the Comet Motor Mfg. Co. on Lisbon Ave. in Milwaukee in 1913. What? Seems they were the agent for Jefferson in Milwaukee in 1913. I do not believe they made any motorcycles themselves.
          Attached Files

Comment

rww .......this is great stuff!!! It's the mystery behind these machines that make these stories so great.......let the search for the truth begin!!!!!!!

Comment

let the SEARCH for the truth CONTINUE..........

let the ACCEPTANCE of the truth BEGIN !!!!!!!!!

Comment

Comet

It's good to see other people interested in this stuff. Here's a page from the 1910 Comet brochure. Don't know if a twin was ever built. Never saw a photo, blueprint or drawing of one. Never found anything in the public record either. It's kinda like Mack's Waverley motorcycle. There were ads with drawings and brochures made up showing a complete production motorcycle but there were never any 1911/12 Waverley's ever produced. Maybe there is a photo out there yet. I doubt it though. And I never found any evidence of a P.E.M. brochure either. I'm sure Mack blew his advertising budget on the Waverley brocures. I think just like today with the sad saga of the rebirth of the Indian motorcycle the same sort of things were going on back then.
                Attached Files

Comment

I still haven't done it, but it would be a good study to compare the Comet engine's bottom end/crankcases to the Waverley engine and the Harley-Davidson engine to see whether there is much/any family resemblance between them.

My thinking is that if Perry jumped from Harley to Comet to Waverley there should be some continuity between designs.

Maybe.......

Comment

Working...
                  X