Curtiss engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curtiss engine

Hello gents, Thought I'd share some pix of a Curtiss engine I found. What do you think?
    20161212_203923.jpg20161212_203934.jpg20161212_203942.jpg20161212_203957.jpg20161212_204004.jpg

I thought it could be motorcycle converted for some kind of implement due to the long shaft, but could it be for a plane or balloon or ? The sn is 3302. Any knowledge. It sure looks like those few pix I could find on the web. On some website I saw a post about 12-15 Curtiss motorcycles known with kudos to a Wes A. Anyone know who Wes A. is? I did write to the Curtiss museum. Any info appreciated.
    It looks like a F head with pushrod operated exhaust and atmospheric intakes. Note the exhaust pushrods are just above the horizontal and appear to operator a rocker shaft that are housed fore and aft on the crank cases. The Schebler carb is not what I see in web pix. It appears to be soldered to the intake manifold. Its a beautiful little Schebler The distributor cap and timer looks distinctly Harley, its mounting looks a little home made. Its pretty amazing- the nickle is peeling but there. The exhaust on a cycle looks to run under the engine, but again, as an implement this pipe could have been bent up.
    Last edited by DanM; 12-12-2016, 08:30 PM.
    Dan Margolien
    Yankee Chapter National Meet July 31/August 1 2020 at the TERRYVILLE Fairgounds, Terryville CT.
    Www.yankeechapter.org
    Pocketvalve@gmail.com

Excellent find. A real gem. BRAVO !
    http://www.harley-memories.com
    http://harley8valves.wordpress.com/
    AMCA Membership#5701

Comment

Very nice motor. I just love this old stuff. My guess is it could be a boat motor. That is what immediately came to mind when I saw it. Especially with the exhaust
      exiting the way it does near the rear shaft.

Comment

Beautiful motor, Dan. I believe that iteration of the Curtiss twin started in 1909, and by 1912 it was a Marvel. You should try to contact Dale Axelrod here in Florida, as I think he's about as knowledgeable about early Curtiss history, and motorcycles as anyone you could find. He also has 2 Curtiss twins; one restored, and one original.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Cool motor,I remember Dale was at the grocery accross from davenport.A truck with early curtiss motor was in parking lot,not there for meet.He scrounged every penny to get it,had like 20 bucks & credit card to get home.Was the earliest curtiss aviation twin he had ever seen..my guess is aviation but i don't really have a clue.

Comment

I believe the Curtiss aviation motors were quite different than his motorcycle engines. His motorcycles were singles, twins, and the super rare (maybe non-existent) triple. I think Dan has a motorcycle engine that has had mods done to the ignition. Keep us posted, Dan; as early motorcycles are so interesting, and rarely talked about here.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

This is a Curtiss derigible engine at the Dayton Air Force Museum. Dan, you may have to fix that intake leak!
              Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Originally posted by BigLakeBob View Post
                This is a Curtiss derigible engine at the Dayton Air Force Museum. Dan, you may have to fix that intake leak!
                YA- she's runnin a bit lean!!

Dan
                Dan Margolien
                Yankee Chapter National Meet July 31/August 1 2020 at the TERRYVILLE Fairgounds, Terryville CT.
                Www.yankeechapter.org
                Pocketvalve@gmail.com

Comment

Phenomenal, Dan!

The "through bolts" from heads to cases were decades ahead of their time.

And I appreciate the dirigible motor pic, Bob!
                  Now I know what I am saving this Schebler for...

....Cotten
                  Attached Files
                  AMCA #776
                  Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Dan, That would be Wes Allen. He's a member of our Fort Sutter chapter here in Sacramento, CA. He has several Curtis models and is the resident expert on that marque. he should be listed in the club national roster. He's very free with his knowledge and quite the gentleman.
                    DrSprocket

Comment

Working...
                    X