Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to build a pre 13 single...

Hello,
    New to the thread. I have been mostly a car guy (Model T guy now) but I have owned a few motorcycles (57 and 60 BMW's) but ever since I laid eyes on the early model 6, 7 and 8's at Barrett Jackson back in 02 I have had an itch for the pre 13 H-D's. Unfortunately for most, but fortunately for the lucky few that have them, the prices have always been out of reach (I should have bought back in 02!) Anyway, now I have come to a point where I would like to build one of these and hopefully find an orphan engine to take off the shelf and put back on the road.
    Now there are a few folks manufacturing the reproduction parts, from frames to whole bikes. I am leaning to buying the whole bike kit and building it, all the while looking for the orphan engine to replace the replica engine. What I am going to be looking for is to make it as original as I can but I don't want to ride/show it as original. Is there a registry that I can assign my HD to so when the time comes and I am gone folks will know what they are buying?
    I like to be as honest as possible considering there are so few original bikes out there.
    Lastly, are there any books on the early singles that I can study? or any books on the early single engines so I can differentiate from one year to the next that way, in my hunt for an engine, I know what I should be looking for?
    Thanks in advance for any advice.

I'll never forget the 1909 Harley I saw at the old Howard Johnsons AMCA meet in Orlando back in about 1978. It was all spread out on a tarp, and looked to be all there, but rusty. For $2000, I thought the seller was insane.

The only book that covers early H-Ds is Jerry Hatfield's "Inside Harley-Davidson", and Rick Conner's " Harley-Davidson Data Book". Both books strive to document yearly changes, but systematic pictures are lacking. If any potential authors are reading this; a nuts, and bolts, chronological, photographic year by year documentation of Harleys through 1929 would be invaluable. Mark Masa is working on a documentation of the J, and JD era which is monumental to say the least. However, the pre-J era is rank with hearsay, bullsh!t, and mis-information. Herbert Wagner has performed miracles in uncovering, and wrenching from obscurity, the real facts, and history of the ancient Harley-Davidson origins. His dedication, and commitment to genuine research in this esoteric field is on par with an Paleontologist, Egyptologist, or Psychologist. The further back you go into H-D, the muddier it gets. Herb's brilliant research into the Isam's, Carl Lang Harley is some to the best research, and enjoyable reading I have had.
    Last edited by exeric; 09-13-2016, 05:11 PM.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Books on order.... Thanks for the information Eric. Now to find an engine!

Comment

Eric is spot on with Herbert's research. A must read for where you are about to venture is Herbert's book..."At the Creation" My favorite HW book.
        Ross

Comment

Wow, have you seen the prices for this book!

Comment

I have a 1911 single for sale. If interested email me at jjlecy@hotmail.com

Comment

Herb's book is only 24.95 for paperback
              http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/whsp...sp?book_id=159

Comment

Working...
              X