Excelsior oil pipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excelsior oil pipes

Hello all, I need to know where the oil pipes go on my 1913 excelsior as they are missing. There is an oil drip glass and an oil hand pump, but there are 3 places on the engine for pipes to go, one on the right side of the engine near the cams, and two into the casing. It is a two speed version and there seems to be an oil way under the pedals. Would love to know what goes where and what rate of oil the drip should drip at.

Many thanks
    Chris Cook.

Hey Chris. I looked at my '12 twin, and got a pic of the 3 oil lines. The pump for the '12 is on the outside of the tank, but same effect for a '13 and '14 internal tank pump. First pic you can see the dripper behind my external pump, and follow the oil line to the second picture to the elbow on the lower timing cover. The 3rd line in the back bottom of the motor and goes to (1912-early '13) where the frame meets the padal crank housing, or if later '13 and '14, a line just goes back above the chain and blows oil.
    Fourth pic is my '13 with NO oil fitting on the frame/pedal crank housing.
    You want to see about 2 drips every 6 seconds, at least the later teen Henderson says that, so I use it as a rule. Have to look it up for X maybe. I turn it all the way on if running hard like on a Super X, but there is a drain petcock for overflow just in case too much oil.
    Question: Are your fenders flat sided or round like a '14 X? The frames from sometime in '13-'14 are a little different as are the fenders and toolbox. I'm learning a little too.
    Hope this helps, John
    IMG_2079.jpgIMG_2081.jpgIMG_2082.jpgIMG_2083.jpg

Comment

Hi John thanks for the reply, I would have said the hand pump went to the cam side so I'm glad I asked. I've attached some pics of her. The motor is away being rebuilt at the mo so I don't have any close pics of it. In two of the pics you can see the oil way in the pedal housing. My fenders seem to be round, regards Chris

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Comment

Working...
      X