Excelsior piston question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excelsior piston question.

Dear all I have just become the new owner of a 1913 excelsior which is totally original. After inspection I had to strip her down because she was making rough noises when turning over, someone has been in there before and made a mess. Number one piston looks too long and has been hitting the casing and is definitely not original, neither is number two, and number one cylinder has been over sized. So what would be your advice with this as I'm quite new to this. If I was to get two pistons made would the weight of the over sized piston make it run unbalanced? Any help or advice would be a massive help, thanks

A little update I have found someone to sleeve the oversized barrel but I don't have any Pistons to get copied so I'm in desperate need of a pair of Pistons, or measurements of a piston for a 1913 excelsior so I can get two made. Any help would be a massive help thank you.

Comment

I always got pistons made to fit the bore, because using pistons already available require extensive boring, which will weaken the cylinder walls. Excelsior cylinders already have a thin wall. So sleeving them ist the last, which should be done. (no new cylinders are available) Another issue is the cylinder flange, as it has no radius and is prone for cracks and total breakage. If your bore has scratches (e.g. from the piton pin) get it grind to the minimum necessary and get a piston made to that size with an up to date securing of the piston pin, with a play of minimum 0,1 mm (0,0039 inch) as we have an air cooled engine.
      Also nickel plating has its limits (depending on the process), as the material gets brittle and the carbon is reduced which results in a class hard cylinder material, which is prone to break….
      regards from Germany

Comment

Working...
      X