"PERSONS" Leather Saddle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "PERSONS" Leather Saddle

I recently purchased an old, original PERSONS leather saddle. It had hung in a dirt floored farm shed for decades. I cleaned the leather with saddlesoap and it showed very little wear. It is dark brown. The only identification on the saddle is a metal PERSONS tag on the rear lip. I cannot find any markings on the metal frame. Can anybody tell me the following:
    1. What Model seat is it?
    2. What year range was it produced?
    3. Is it for a motorcycle or bicycle or both?
    4. What manufacturers, if any used this particular style seat on their products?

Thank you for any and all help.DSCN2770.jpgDSCN2769.jpgDSCN2768.jpgDSCN2767.jpgDSCN2766.jpg

I hope this helps. Ad is from 1-9-1913.
    Attached Files

Comment

What is the width, and length of the seat? Often, that will determine bicycle, or motorcycle, but off hand, it looks motorcycle. I have been told that rivets at the back of the cantle date a seat as '10, or '11. Rivet on top of the cantle will make it earlier. That hair spring at the front, (or pommel) is common for motorcycle seats up to 1911. After 1911 the hair spring is gone from motorcycle seats and I think that was because it was considered 'old timey'.

I think people bought seats to their own preferences even though some motorcycle manufacturers specified specific brand names. I really don't know how that worked, but I'll bet that if a buyer didn't like the feel of a seat, the dealer would have other seats on hand. I know that is how it works today with bicycle dealers.
      Last edited by exeric; 12-22-2015, 04:05 PM.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

Here is a better view. ALSO 1913
        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
        X