1913 Control Cables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1913 Control Cables

I purchased some new control cables for a 1913 Yale and when I try to attach the solid inner wire to the assembly in the handlebars it will pull out when pressure I applied. I have tried bending over the end of the wire, but the wire is brittle and will break. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to attach the control cables? I thought about welding a little blob on the end of the wire, but wasn't sure if it would hold up either.

Well I am gonna go out on a limb here and hopefully get corrected as I have yet to do this part of my 1914 Thor restoration, but thinking through what I would do in your situation. The inner wire shouldn't be that brittle I would have thought, so one possible solution is to anneal the wire locally. If that want working I would replace the wire. I have a new Corvette bonnet (hood) cable from a car I used to own, it looks to be the same. Welding a blob on the end might work as well, but a silver soldered brass fitting might as well. The control cables I have bought but not fitted are chrome or nickel outers but the inner I hope is not as it will definitely be brittle and replacement would be the best answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Captk View Post
      Well I am gonna go out on a limb here and hopefully get corrected as I have yet to do this part of my 1914 Thor restoration, but thinking through what I would do in your situation. The inner wire shouldn't be that brittle I would have thought, so one possible solution is to anneal the wire locally. If that want working I would replace the wire. I have a new Corvette bonnet (hood) cable from a car I used to own, it looks to be the same. Welding a blob on the end might work as well, but a silver soldered brass fitting might as well. The control cables I have bought but not fitted are chrome or nickel outers but the inner I hope is not as it will definitely be brittle and replacement would be the best answer.
      I appreciate your response. My replacement cables have a nickel platted outer and the quality of the inner wire is definitely lacking. I still have some of the original wire and it is super strong in comparison. Unfortunately, the original wire has seen better days. I may try to anneal the wire, but may also look at replacement options.

Comment

I've done what Captk suggested in regards to silver soldering a slug on the end of an inner cable. However, if your inner cable is that brittle, for your own peace of mind, you should replace it. You can get piano wire from McMaster Carr in a range of diameters.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
        X