Excelsior 74 cubic inch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excelsior 74 cubic inch

Does anyone have information if a Big X with a 74 cu inch motor was available. All the research I did so far gives no indication. Only 61 cubic inch.
    Merry Chrismas

The 74" Excelsior information seems to have come from Harry Sucher, in the Excelsior appendix found in the Harley-Davidson book he wrote. I've heard there is a 74" X, but if it does exist, I would have to believe it was a stroker built by a talented engine builder. The parts books have no listings for flywheels, cylinders, or connecting rods for a 74".
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
      The 74" Excelsior information seems to have come from Harry Sucher, in the Excelsior appendix found in the Harley-Davidson book he wrote. I've heard there is a 74" X, but if it does exist, I would have to believe it was a stroker built by a talented engine builder. The parts books have no listings for flywheels, cylinders, or connecting rods for a 74".
      Yes, he got mixed up with HD. I am doing a book on Excelsior and want to be sure that during my research I didn`t missed it. I have lots of information, but not everything
      thanks again

Comment

I agree with Eric, that X never built a 74" X. If they ever did, it would have likely been with the series 20 machines, so 20-24. I have sales brochures from every year in that range, never a mention of any kind about a 74" motor, just the standard 61" twin. Also the parts books make no mention of different flywheels, rods, pistons, manifolds, carburetors etc. The only written mention of a 74" X that I have found is the Schebler carburator book. I have one from 1928 that lists a 1 1/4" model DLX-8 for 22-25 74" Excelsior Regular models. This also happens to be the same carb. as the 26- Super Regular Super X used. This carb. makes no sense for a 74" Big X as it would require a bigger manifold or an adapter plate, none of which were ever mentioned in the parts book. So, I'm of the belief that they never made them. Until someone comes up with 74: motor parts, that's where I'll stay.

Gene Harper

Comment

American X; I loved the Excelsior book you wrote, and coincidently, I got my copy from Gene Harper. I know there is a great appreciation for the Excelsior motorcycle in Europe, but will there be an English edition of your new book? I appreciate your efforts and the work you put into your book. I know many of us will be anxiously awaiting your next book.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
            American X; I loved the Excelsior book you wrote, and coincidently, I got my copy from Gene Harper. I know there is a great appreciation for the Excelsior motorcycle in Europe, but will there be an English edition of your new book? I appreciate your efforts and the work you put into your book. I know many of us will be anxiously awaiting your next book.
            Yes, the new one will be in English. The size will be bigger 32cm to 28cm ( 3cm more than my book Murderdrome on Board Track racing. This book weight 3kg!) The material I have can cover 500 pages...... I already work on it since 2 years. It will take some more time (may up to two years) Its a hell of work. I am in contact with the relatives of the Schwinn family, the AMA Excelsior archive etc. A lot of stuff from around the world will be included. It will be the same quality than the previous book. All books I do are not for making money and only a few hundred will be made. Its to preserve the history.
            regards Thomas

Comment

Working...
            X