Hand Pump on Oil Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hand Pump on Oil Tank

On some early bikes with a separate oil tank I have seen the hand oil pump nickel plated and mounted to the painted tank. What is the process for getting this finish on both parts. I presume that the pump body is silver soldered to the tank prior to painting? If the pump body is nickel plated is the platng affected by the brazing process? Any advice welcomed please.
    Kelvin

Hi Kelvin

Plating would be affected by the heat applied for silver soldering. There would be more of a problem of the silver solder taking to the nickel though. I would suggest getting the nickel removed (the reverse process of plating) then do the silver soldering and have it replated, presuming you want it plated.

Hope this helps
    Steve
    1914 P&M
    1915 Indian (project)
    1930 M50 Panther
    1958 M35sport Panther

Comment

Ok, so how do I attach the newly plated pump back to the oil tank? This is my question? Maybe I have the process or the attachment method wrong?

Comment

What year and brand of motorcycle are you asking about? I have seen nickel plated hand pumps on racing Excelsiors, but the pump is mounted with 4 screws to tapped pads that are brazed or soldered to the tank. The only other motorcycle I can think of that has a separate hand pump on the oil tank are the pre WW1 Indians. . . And, I don't know anything about them
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Do I understand that your pump has been removed from the tank and replated? If so, you have your work cut out for you. If the pump was originally lead soldered to the tank, you might be able to carefully reattach it with controlled heat, however that mass of metal will be difficult to get hot enough to accept solder without damaging the nickel plating . If it was silver soldered, the plating will be ruined by the heat and you'll have to get the pump stripped, and re-plated.

If we are talking about an early Indian, and the pump is still on the tank, I would look into getting a Caswell electroless nickel plating kit and doing it yourself. Most platers are not going to take the time or care to do a first class job, and the ones that will, charge a forturne. With the kit, the part will never leave your possession, and you can take all the pains necessary to mask, and prepare the pump.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by Captk View Post
            Ok, so how do I attach the newly plated pump back to the oil tank? This is my question? Maybe I have the process or the attachment method wrong?
            Attach the pump to the tank before replating
            1914 P&M
            1915 Indian (project)
            1930 M50 Panther
            1958 M35sport Panther

Comment

Thanks to everyone. Some great advice. I will now sit back and think about the best thing to do based on the replies. Paint is looking like the best option ;-)

Comment

so Kelvin, what kind of motorcycle are we talking about?
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

I am assuming it's the Thor he mentioned in the pistons post.

Mounting on bosses attached to the tank is pretty easy to do. But some makers did things like soft-solder things to tanks. That makes things a PITA both to get enough heat to solder the two together, but also because a lot of those early tanks were soft-soldered together. Too much heat anywhere and bad things happen. I'd be looking for a way to (discreetly) make a mount that is removeable. May not be 100 percent correct, but it is 1000 percent less of a headache. And if you do it right, you can 'hide' the mounts easily.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Then it must be a late Thor. If so, I would just paint the pump with the oil tank. I've seen them that way and it looks fine.
                    Eric Smith
                    AMCA #886

Comment

You can attach the pump to the tank, then plate. Mask off the portion that you don't want plated with a rubberized tape like electrical tape. Then after the pump is plated, paint the rest.
                      Last edited by silentgreyfello; 07-27-2013, 11:31 PM.

Comment

Yes, it is a Thor. It is a 1914 14A twin. Painting the pump body with the oil tank is the easiest but it looks like it was nickel plated originally. I am trying to get this bike right as I can. It is a challenge that's for sure. I personally don't mind if it is plated or painted, but I would like it correct.

Comment

here is a list of masking materials.http://www.plating.com/platingtechnical/stopoff.htm
                          rob ronky #10507
                          www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

Working...
                          X