The Shaffer steam motorcycle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Shaffer steam motorcycle

OK, we do know a lot on Roper and his steam motorcycles.
    What about Shaffers?
    Just came across the enclosed photo in a 1901 issue of an European motor magazine, showing Mr. Richard M. Shaffer taking control of the handlebars on his racing steam tandem motorcycle.
    Mr. Shaffer is a true believer in steam rather than petroleum (sick!) and intend making loads of steam engined motorcycles out of his Baltimore workshop named Shaffer engine manufacturing company!

This is a new one to me. Anyone aware of this brand or know if there is one still around??

Sverre
    http://AmericanMotorcyclesNorway.blogspot.com
    And then there is the idea that we are here on earth to get a certain amount of things done before we die.
    This is a great theory.
    If it is true, I am so far behind that I will never die...

AMCA-3489

Sverre, I'll be paying attention for that one now. It doesn't rattle any memories in my noggin' at the moment. Just a thought.... wouldn't you feel a tad uncomfortable sitting over the boiler like that lead rider is????
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

Cory, "a man got to do what a man got to do" in the name of science :-)

I would feel a "tad" uncomfortable across the enclosed beast who did 60mph when the frame started to twist severely according to eye witnesses. This happened in 1903 I seem to remember. Doesnt the exhaust ports of this monster parallel twin point directly towards the "aheem" of the poor rider?

Sverre
      http://AmericanMotorcyclesNorway.blogspot.com
      And then there is the idea that we are here on earth to get a certain amount of things done before we die.
      This is a great theory.
      If it is true, I am so far behind that I will never die...

AMCA-3489

Comment

Sverre, they were daring experimenters for sure!!! That latest beast could pass for a "proto-type" for the modern day race bikes!!!
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

Working...
        X