Ads from an interesting Trade Journal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ads from an interesting Trade Journal

Last week I was lucky enough to look through a skip bin that was the contents of a deceased gentlemans shed.
    I salvaged a van load of stuff and found a "Cycle and Automobile Trade Journal" dated 1st July 1905.
    I thought some of the adverts may be of interest especially the HD one that advertises "Motors" for sale but has no mention what-so-ever to complete motorcycles.
    Enjoy
    Attached Files
    Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
    A.M.C.A. # 2777
    Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Some more from the same source
    Attached Files
    A.M.C.A. # 2777

Comment

Same source again
      Attached Files
      A.M.C.A. # 2777

Comment

Finally the last two.
        It is interesting that the Merkel one is Automotive engines even thought that it is in the advertisers index under motorcycle manufacturers.
        Attached Files
        A.M.C.A. # 2777

Comment

3 more from the same publication
          Anyone heard of the Mayo before?
          Attached Files
          A.M.C.A. # 2777

Comment

Very nice early stuff. I have to admit , I do not have a MAYO on any list I own. Very interesting. In Herbert Wagner's book, At The Creation it suggests a very few motorcycles for sale in 1905. Lonnie in SD has one. But now I wonder when I see that adv. how may engines were sold for who knows what purpose.
            Ross

Comment

Pete, that’s some great stuff. I like the Merkel Auto Motor. Talk about the Ralph Nader special. Go for a drive and dice your dinner all at the same time.
              AMCA #3149
              http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Thanks for sharing with us Peter, and thanks for saving it. We should be glad the printing industy used good paper, and ink back in those days.
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

Well it looks like the right fella got to sift through that bin! Thanks a bunch for sharing Tommo!!! It's interesting that the "Mayo" used "Motocycle" in it's ad.

Ross, it seems to me that Herb may have speculated on a ball park amount of engines sold but that's just speculative recollection on my part! I often wonder where all the buckboard motors got to.... we know they could be used for just whatever your heart desired, the boat photo is a kick but I sure would like to see one of the bowling pin picker upper!!!
                  Cory Othen
                  Membership#10953

Comment

Guys, It was amazing what I managed to save and one skip had already gone to the tip. I hate to think what was in that one.
                    I saved a nice set of timing gears for a Big X Excelsior, a near new 0-4inch Moore and Wright micrometer, a full set of 26 tpi cycle thread taps and dies, a quantity of 1920's Douglas bits, a rolled thread spoke theading machine and die heads, a cut thread spoke threading machine and dies, a large quantity of pre 1925 sales brochures for motorcycles and pushbikes and the list just goes on and on. It's criminal what some people throw out.
                    There's a lot of info in those few adverts and I'm just going to wait a while before I make any comment. The "Motocycle" in the Mayo ad and the fact that Harley make no mention of complete motorcycles is just two of several interesting facts that appear in those ads.
                    A.M.C.A. # 2777

Comment

Tommo...Good for you, looks like you got there in the nick of time. I have heard stories of families just throwing the stuff out after someone passes. I have an old trade journal from 1907 and it shows an ad for the Mayo, singles and twins.

Comment

mayo damper motorcycle pottstown pa.
                        rob ronky #10507
                        www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

Tommo, you found what most of us are always looking for. Good for you and thanks for sharing it. Were your hands shaking as you were digging
                          through the dumpster?

Came across this ad for the Mayo. They sold singles and twins.

Mayo motocycle ad is from Motorcycle Illustrated magazine, 1908, Vol. 13, page 110. Appears to have been around for 4-5 years at this time. They also
                          made carburetors for all brands of motorcycle.

Also came across this drawing of an 1905 American motorcycle with a steering wheel. Just thought I would include it because it is so unusual.

Dick
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X