1910 indian twin 5hp nickel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1910 indian twin 5hp nickel

was hoping someone could tell me the finish on the nickel used in plating of a 1910 indian....have an older restoration i am redoing....they used what apears to be a very bright nickel almost looks like chrome ? does not have that butter nickel look at all... thanks for any help or advice..chris

I would suspect most of it is bright nickel ie Polished... that would be controls and other brightwork. Things that were intended to be decorative.

Cylinders, however, are likely to be a dull or blast nickel.

I can't speak for Indian of that era, but many of the cars (that were not using brass) were using solid German silver (nickel silver) for brightwork. Brass was for 'cheap' stuff. German Silver was used on the good stuff! And Indian, being trendy and top-of-the line kit wanted things silver-colored, not brass. But plating processes then weren't what they are now. So German silver was a common material.

There was also a process called "Close plating" which, today, is a lost art. It involved soldering very thin sheets of nickel silver onto steel or brass substrate. The sheets were about .003 - .004" thick... and were soldered around compound curves... it was incredible how it was done. When RR opened its Springfield works, though, the only craftsman they brought from England... was a close plater. So odds are there was noone in Springfield doing the work and while common on British cars, was only used on a very few American Marques.

But solid German silver was used for lamps, controls, levers, knobs... all kinds of stuff.

And I forgot to add... you mentioned 'butter' nickel. Not familiar with that term unless you mean something like Watts Plating (blast nickel) or if you mean that the nickel has taken on a bit of a yellow color. But nickel will tarnish. Not like silver, but over a long time, it can take a yellowish hue. And while chrome always looks 'blue' and has that very distinct sharp look, nickel is softer and has a nicer tone to it. It's very easy to spot the difference. Is it possible that some clownshoes chromed the bike during its 'older' restoration? Because that happened a lot back in the '70s. when over-restoration and chrome was rampant in cars and bikes alike...

Not sure I answered all your questions... but plating on these early beasts can be quite a science. Finding the right plater can be an art...

Cheers,

Sirhr
    Last edited by sirhrmechanic; 03-26-2013, 09:50 PM.

Comment

While it's six years newer than the bike you mention Chris, my Powerplus has some very good nickel left on it in spots. It may or may not be the same finish you are asking for but if you I would be glad to post a photo or two. The cylinders are "dull" as Sirhr has mentioned.

Awesome info Rainman!! Errr... Sirhr.... damn now I'm confused....
      Cory Othen
      Membership#10953

Comment

thanks for the info, it seems with the above and all the things i can find to read about it, the bright work was all nickel...the cylinders were dull... but my question is now what else is dull, intake manifold , exhaust, ??? thanks chris

Comment

I tried to get a decent cylinder shot...

The manifold picture isn't the best... I think a good cleaning and a polish and it would shine up pretty good. I don't have an exhaust for reference.

After thinking about it for a minute.... there's a thread around here somewhere with photos of an original '08. I'll try and dig it up.
          Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

Working...
          X