Riding a Cyclone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riding a Cyclone

You'd think I was an advertiser for Pete's blog or something but darn it he puts up some cool stuff! Lane Plotner's Cyclone is amazing! I'm betting it's the most oily yellow rocket on the planet! It's down right refreshing to see that he uses it as it was intended. Man those folks got it going on in California. I'd be blown away to be tooling down the road and pass a stream of that kind of early iron!

http://occhiolungo.wordpress.com/201...ing-a-cyclone/
    Last edited by c.o.; 04-11-2012, 11:55 PM.
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Couple of pics I took about 20 years ago in Daniel Statnekov's office. Pre restoration.
    Robbie

Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Ha Ha Cory! That gave me a chuckle. Thanks for reading, and thanks for spreading the word. I have a big pile of articles to post in the coming weeks/months about workshop projects, and also some essentially unknown info on motorcycle tech of the 1820's and 1830's. I just wish that I had 30 hours each day to do all that want to do.

Pete

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
      You'd think I was an advertiser for Pete's blog or something but darn it he puts up some cool stuff! Lane Plotner's Cyclone is amazing! I'm betting it's the most oily yellow rocket on the planet! It's down right refreshing to see that he uses it as it was intended. Man those folks got it going on in California. I'd be blown away to be tooling down the road and pass a stream of that kind of early iron!

http://occhiolungo.wordpress.com/201...ing-a-cyclone/

Comment

Originally posted by Rub View Post
        Couple of pics I took about 20 years ago in Daniel Statnekov's office. Pre restoration.
        Robbie

Robbie! Am I seeing double? I knew that he had quite the race bike collection but two Cyclones???

Originally posted by pete @ occhiolungo View Post
        Ha Ha Cory! That gave me a chuckle. Thanks for reading, and thanks for spreading the word. I have a big pile of articles to post in the coming weeks/months about workshop projects, and also some essentially unknown info on motorcycle tech of the 1820's and 1830's. I just wish that I had 30 hours each day to do all that want to do.

Pete
        Pete!

The kind of stuff you blog, generally speaking is where my interest lies. Early iron is tops!!! The tech stuff is cool too! I'll be waiting and watching with interest! Thanks for feeding the habit!
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

Lane rode that machine at Borrego one year, I could hardley believe it when he did. Alas on that day something let loose in the valve train and the mighty Cyclone was on the side of the road :-( Even worse, I had not got to see it in action, dang it. I have seen it running but never on the road. I need to make one of those pre 16 rides.

Comment

Hey Tom,

If I remember right, Lane had it on an Evergreen Road Run one year (maybe ten or more years ago???) and lost his kicker while blasting down a narrow mountain road. I think it's just so cool that he doesn't treat it like it should be behind glass.
            Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

When Lane had the bike on the Evergreen run and it broke down, it ended up on my pickup for the day. It was almost tempting to head for the Canadian border and home! There was a serious climb in the mountains to see the damage caused by Mt St. Hellens. The Cyclone blasted up with no problem, even with single speed. Quite a bike! Is Lane still around? I haven't heard from him in years.
              Pete Gagan

Comment

Here is part of a video I have from 1979 that shows Lane outside the St. George hotel in Volcano, Ca. I wonder if he still has his Pope ?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rU7ZeMA01Y

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Gagan View Post
                  When Lane had the bike on the Evergreen run and it broke down, it ended up on my pickup for the day. It was almost tempting to head for the Canadian border and home! There was a serious climb in the mountains to see the damage caused by Mt St. Hellens. The Cyclone blasted up with no problem, even with single speed. Quite a bike! Is Lane still around? I haven't heard from him in years.
                  Pete Gagan
                  What sort of cruising speed did he run at? I'd sure like to see that bike in person one day. Did you read the Occhio Lungo blog entry at the start of this thread Pete? I'm guessing that the photo of Lane with his Cyclone is fairly recent.

Originally posted by Scott Parker View Post
                  Here is part of a video I have from 1979 that shows Lane outside the St. George hotel in Volcano, Ca. I wonder if he still has his Pope ?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rU7ZeMA01Y
                  Cool video Scott! I always like to see the "early" iron out and about!
                  Cory Othen
                  Membership#10953

Comment

Lane and I rode together for a while. I was on my Brough Superior, and didn't feel the need to slow down for him. I'd estimate he was doing 50-60 mph quite comfortably, with lots of reserve. When the OHV Excelsior replica was built, internal details of the Cyclone were used. The Ex put out 50 BHP at the rear wheel, which puts it in the Vincent category. I doubt the Cyclone is much different. Both are way lighter than a Vincent twin.
                    Pete

Comment

Lane and I rode together for a while. I was on my Brough Superior, and didn't feel the need to slow down for him. I'd estimate he was doing 50-60 mph quite comfortably, with lots of reserve. When the OHV Excelsior replica was built, internal details of the Cyclone were used. The Ex put out 50 BHP at the rear wheel, which puts it in the Vincent category. I doubt the Cyclone is much different. Both are way lighter than a Vincent twin.
                      Pete
                      Bob Chantland had his Cyclone motor in disassembly (top end off) at the St Paul Viking meet a few years back, and I was amazed at how small the valves were. I remember reading that the cams were timed quite radically, but especially since the Ex's were running such big intakes I couldn't figure why the cyclone wasn't. .. now I can't remember if it was an 8-valve.

Comment

Pete
                        Thanks Pete! I figured that Cyclone would hum along nicely. I saw the OHV Replica's debut in Davenport a few years back. Has anyone actually wound one right up to see what it would do?
                        Cory Othen
                        Membership#10953

Comment

It was Bob Chantland's engine that was used for reference. The Ex had bigger valves, and a better flow setup on top. Cam timing is modern, as we had no figures for the Ex anyway. Paul Brodie has put one of the Ex OHC engines in a modern lightweight roadrace frame he has built using chrome moly, carbon fiber, etc. Although that engine has electronic ignition and a huge Amal carb, it is otherwise standard 1919 technology, and it is now tuned to give out 75 BHP at the rear wheel- pretty impressive! Sorry I don't have a picture, but you can see it on Paul's website flashbackfabrications.com
                          The road racer has been running in "Battle of the Twins" racing in the northwest, and shows good promise. Quite a craftsman is Paul.
                          Pete

Comment

PS
                            Both the Cyclone and OHC Ex used four valves only.
                            Pete

Comment

Scott, My wife and I are interested in hosting a road run from the St. George Hotel in Volcano. Do you think you have any info about those old runs? A route map would be really helpful. That hotel, town and general area are favorite places for us. thanks! Pete

Comment

Working...
                              X