Measurement of Wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Measurement of Wheels

I have read various online ads and articles, including our forum threads, that list early motorcycle wheel sizes as 22", 23", etc. In an early Indian sales catalog, Indian lists the wheel size as 28" and the tire size as 2 1/4". However, it appears that the current measurement for the same 28" wheel would be 22" or 23". Is there a standard method of measuring a wheel's size?
    Last edited by talbot-2; 01-12-2012, 06:06 PM.

I am currently recovering from a stroke and am having a few difficulties so please bear with me.
    You'll find the answer to your question in the Indian Scout section under the heading " Early Scout rim dimensions"
    Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
    A.M.C.A. # 2777
    Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

Tommo! It's good to hear that you are on the recovering end! Your absence has had me wondering. I hope you are 100% soon!

Here's the link for the rim dimensions... http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bbo...rim-dimensions
      Cory Othen
      Membership#10953

Comment

Thanks for the pics, Tommo. Get well soon!

Comment

Originally posted by Tommo View Post
          I am currently recovering from a stroke and am having a few difficulties so please bear with me.
          You'll find the answer to your question in the Indian Scout section under the heading " Early Scout rim dimensions"
          Thanks for the link to the thread with some info about tire sizes. I noticed in one of the Tire Charts in the thread a reference to both Universal and Coker tires that were sold as "28 X 2 1/2-2". What's size is that? And how does the "28 X 2 1/2-2" tire compare in size with the current Coker tire size of "28 X 2 1/2"?
          Last edited by talbot-2; 01-13-2012, 12:43 PM.

Comment

it's good to hear from you tommo
            rob ronky #10507
            www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

Thanks for the concerns guys.

talbot-2
              I suspect they are what is known as a "Group Sizing"
              If you take 26 x 2 1/2 for example most of the tyres you buy will have "26 x 2 1/2" and following that in brackets "( to suit 2 1/4 rim)"
              To understand this the following maths is probably best
              2 1/2 plus 2 1/2 = 5 inches subtracted from 26 gives a rim dia of 21 inches
              2 1/4 plus 2 1/4 = 4 1/2 inches subtracted from 26 gives a rim dia of 21 1/2 inches
              So you see there is only 1/2 an inch difference so the tyre makers make the group sizing tyre slightly larger in dia so it is a bit loose on a 21 inch rim and just a bit tight on the 21 1/2 inch rim. Works just fine.
              I suspect that this is what Coker and Universal are doing here but as the difference in rim dia is 1 inch I would get a bit uneasy about the possibility of them coming off the smaller dia rim. 28 x 2 1/2 = 23 inch rim 28 x 2 = 24 inch rim
              Maybe this is where some of todays tyres get a poor reputation from.
              I hope all this makes sense as this is where my recent stroke has caused the most trouble.
              A.M.C.A. # 2777

Comment

It made absolute sense Tommo. Now I know what tire size I need for my Indian rims!!
                Cory Othen
                Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by talbot-2 View Post
                  I have read various online ads and articles, including our forum threads, that list early motorcycle wheel sizes as 22", 23", etc. In an early Indian sales catalog, Indian lists the wheel size as 28" and the tire size as 2 1/4". However, it appears that the current measurement for the same 28" wheel would be 22" or 23". Is there a standard method of measuring a wheel's size?
                  Okay............Back to my original question. "Is there a standard method of measuring a wheel's size?" The diameter of the wheel is measured from "where" to "where"? I have been told that a wheel is measured from the inside of the rim where the spokes are inserted to the other side where the spokes are inserted. I have also been told that a wheel is measured from the outside of the rim to the other outside. I'm just seeking a consensus for measuring pre-1915 wheels. Is there a standard method?

Picture this......you find a wheel that may be the one you're looking for....but is it a 22" rim, a 23" rim, or a 24" rim?

Comment

I rang Brian Black who manufactures these sort of rims here in NZ.
                    He comfirmed my thoughts and the measurements shown on the attached document are the industries standard.
                    You measure from the bottom of the tyre bead.
                    Attached Files
                    A.M.C.A. # 2777

Comment

Originally posted by talbot-2 View Post
                      Okay............Back to my original question. "Is there a standard method of measuring a wheel's size?" The diameter of the wheel is measured from "where" to "where"? I have been told that a wheel is measured from the inside of the wheel where the spokes are inserted to the other side of the wheel where the spokes are inserted. I have also been told that a wheel is measured from the outside of the wheel to the other outside. I'm just seeking a consensus for measuring pre-1915 wheels. Is there a standard method?

Picture this......you find a wheel that may be the one you're looking for....but is it a 22" wheel, a 23" wheel, or a 24" wheel?
                      "Is there a standard method of measuring a wheel's size?"
                      Last edited by talbot-2; 01-18-2012, 08:03 AM.

Comment

talbot-2
                        Where the dia measurement is taken from is shown on the attachment.
                        There's a lot of confusion when identifying what fits what, for example 24x2 = a 20inch rim, 26x3 = a 20inch rim the difference here being the width between the rim edges.
                        Nowdays a lot of beaded edges tyre sizes are no longer available so you may find rims that are right for your particular application but there are no tyres available to fit them.
                        My recommendation is to find a trye that is still manufactured and suits your application and then worry about rims.
                        I can give you many examples of people spending a lot of money restoring wheels and then finding tyres were not available to suit that rim size.
                        One gentleman even got new rims made to mirror the original ones, had the wheels all built up by a professional and then found tyres to suit were no longer available.
                        Hanging in his shed is one of those wheels that reminds him of his folly every time he enters his workshop.
                        I hope this helps
                        A.M.C.A. # 2777

Comment

Working...
                        X