190?? injun bottom end,help wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

ok,so i located a top end to borrow as a template to recast the goods for this poor thing.........momma locked me out of the house the other night (shes claiming accident) i took it as a sign to throw a few hours at my little turdly indian motor

[IMG]

and it fought

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    Last edited by Old n Rusty; 12-18-2011, 12:07 AM.

Comment

it was hell but good greasy 100 year old hell
      [IMG]
      [IMG]
      [IMG]

somehow screws and nuts i was certain would be unextractable came out with the might of thor himself

Comment

[IMG]
        [IMG]
        this old thing was so corroded in some gear areas i used a feeler guage to work the blue fuzzy aluminum away to recreate the original gaps..........super hard and tedious
        [IMG]
        [IMG]

Comment

[IMG]

Comment

It looks like you've got your work cut out for you Old n Rusty. Good on ya for taking on the task!!! Thanks for sharing the photos.
            Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

thanks........its a real challange and i love the real fossil like stuff.........makes it a bigger triumph when its tackled and completed......im sure there are many who would take the saleable stuff off and sale it.........they would would be smart,im in it for bigger things than common sense

anyhow,i have this pic of a 1910 single,but i cant tell if it is the 2 3/4 hp motor or the big single........really looks alot like mine,what i was wondering is if indian might have used the 09 front end on the lowly little motorbikes.........can anyone tell me definatively if this is a 10 and if so is it the little motor like mine?

Comment

Ha!!! Common sense, rational and reality have no place in our dinosaur habits!! You could sell off parts and make some cash off that engine but you are obviously aimed in the direction of a more noble cause.

I would guess that the black and white photo you provided is of a 1910. With the B stamped in your engine, you have a '10 as well. I have not seen a '10 with the '09 style front-end but that's not to say it never happened. Maybe somebody with a little more insight will read this and chime in.
                Cory Othen
                Membership#10953

Comment

right on,thanks for the feedback.............ok so i have the whole case almost completely stripped,no bs it was not easy.....i took care along the way to not damage anything,such a shame to damage something that lived so peacefully all these yrs (ok totally joking but i hate breaking things so i use caution and patience as my guide.....so far so good on this pile)

i need to get the cam free and im not positive and maybe one of the gurus knows...........is the pin tapered thats holding the cam secure/hostage? i havent put anything to it but more loose sauce and i dont want to break anything...........also i got the oilpump off after lots of careful urging........nothing broken or damaged (yay)...........but now im stuck on the pump screw/gear under the pump cover side...........cannot tell if the pump gear/screw is seperate of the internal gear,waiting to proceed
                  Last edited by Old n Rusty; 12-19-2011, 01:54 PM. Reason: screwy wording

Comment

Yowzers... I wish I could help but I've not had one of those beasts apart. I'd recommend repeated use of the "loose sauce" until more info surfaces!!!
                    Cory Othen
                    Membership#10953

Comment

Recently I replaced the tapered pin that holds the Cam onto the shaft on circa 1907 Thor engine. As you know there are many similarities between the Indian and Thor engines. The tapered pin was a #1 X 1" Long. I used to be able to buy them at my Orchard Supply Hardware. They no longer carry them, but they should be available somewhere else. Anyway, the Tapered Pin can be pushed out in only one direction.

Comment

sweet! thanks for the confirmation.......i will try and move forward on it again soon

Comment

FYI McMaster-Carr sells the Taper Pins.
                          RE: Your picture. It appears to be a 1910 Little Single. Little Single evidenced by; the smaller radius arc of the Mag Drive Cover; large spacing between the intake manifold and the frame; close proximity of the Oil Pump to the bottom of the crankcase. 1910 evidenced by the lack of beaded edge on the fenders. The Block letter Indian logo on the tank was used on the earlier Indians, but they used both Block & Script logos in 1910 and 1911.
                          Re: Your bike. Indian introduced the Cradle Spring Fork in 1910, but who knows if they used up some of the 1909 Forks on the first bikes produced in 1910?
                          Excellent literature to help you with your restoration is available from "A Century of Motorcycling" and "Antique Motorcycle Works".

Comment

thanks! i do need to get over and see the guys at antique motorcycle works..........i have a poopload of projects i need parts for that they can help me with.......thanks for confirmation on the derkum pic! i had hoped it was his 2 3/4 that got stolen and recovered.............and i did have the same thought on the front end,i asked one of the gurus but we never got back to the topic........i thought maybe they would use up the old stock on the littlest bike they sold.......i haven't done anything with the motor except gather parts,the whole project is brave and its gonna take some time

Comment

Working...
                            X