Info on Pre-1916 Motorcycle Rides Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info on Pre-1916 Motorcycle Rides Please

Can anyone tell me the details of the west coast pre-1916 motorcycle rides?

Too far for me to travel with Selma, my 1915 Harley, so I am wondering if it makes sense to do one or more of them here in New England.

Are they free? One or two days? How many many miles? Chase vehicle? Other details please.
    Buzz Kanter
    Classic-Harley.Info Classic Harley History
    [Classic American Iron Forum Classic Harley Forum
    [American Iron Magazine Harley Magazine

I can't supply much for info Buzz but I bet Pete Young or Stephen Wright could. http://occhiolungo.wordpress.com/201...ero-ca-part-1/
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

Johnny Eagles just got back from Minden, you could talk to him, Chuck Vernon, Mike Madden, Lane Plottner - all are regulars, I believe. I have never been, but heard their a blast.

Comment

Rides I have heard of, Death Valley Ride, Steve Wright Ride (Memorial by someone else now), Minden Ride, and ride this July 6 from Tom Lovejoy's place. Excelsior all ways makes good.

Comment

King City is early spring. Atascadero is 2nd weekend in May. Alturas (with steam cars too) is mid June. Minden, NV is first weekend in Sept. I think that all of them will welcome riders on later bikes, but prefer to have pre1916 machines on the tours if possible. It isn't as strict or as big as the old days when 50 or 60 guys would come out and rider their pre16's for 3 days. Now it is a dozen pre16s and another dozen 1920s or 30s bikes. Typically 3 days (Alturas is now 4-5 days), with chase trucks and frequent stops to stretch your legs and let the motor cool if needed. Hopefully we can continue to show people that these early machines are great fun to ride and fully capable of 120+ mile days. But it is a tough fight as so many bikes are being locked up in museums, or loose motors are being built into fake board track racers that will hang on a display wall someplace instead of being built in a street bike being ridden on a tour. I'm not sure how many pre1916 bikes will be on the tours in another decade, but I'll be there.

Comment

I would like to see the Volcano, CA pre 16 ride brought back.
            Be sure to visit;
            http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
            Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
            Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Me too Chris! We just need to get more of the owners of pre1916 bikes to come out and support the rides. If we can get a dozen guys to say they'll attend, I'll take care of the hosting details with the hotel, food, tshirts, maps, etc. That area has some challenging hills for the single speed bikes, but it's been done before. Scott Parker photo:DSC01203.jpg

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
              I would like to see the Volcano, CA pre 16 ride brought back.

Comment

Not to mention that the food at the St. George is fabulous.
                The BMW guys had a big meet in Volcano last Summer.
                Be sure to visit;
                http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Out of curiosity, what is the best time to ride in that part of California? In particular, for pre-'16 bikes, and with a minimum of auto traffic.
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

Food at the St. George is really good! Kim and I hosted a one-week rally for the Velocette club there last July and got to know the new owner of the hotel and restaurant. She's taken the restaurant up a notch. Plus she welcomes big groups...

The roads are great, but a bit steep in places for the earliest fixed gear machines. And traffic was fine all week, (avoiding the main drag in Ft. Sutter, etc.). As typical, traffic is worst on weekdays when all the delivery trucks and road construction is going full bore. Weekends are quieter on all roads except in the most touristy destinations.

Regards,
                    Pete

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
                    Not to mention that the food at the St. George is fabulous.
                    The BMW guys had a big meet in Volcano last Summer.

Comment

Pete.
                      Great idea. I'm up for it, 14HD. What's this thing about hills and single speeds. Monarch Pass is a hill :-)
                      Willing to help if needed and around.
                      What about you other guys. Lets see a show of hands for Pete.
                      10E

Comment

Working...
                      X