Thor expert needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thor expert needed

I've just been contacted by a family here in NZ that is trying to date a Thor twin that has been in the same family for more than 50 years.
    I don't have any photos and won't see the bike until early October but the restoration has started.
    From the telephone conversation it appears the bike is totally stripped and in a million pieces but the following facts have been gleaned from the owner.
    It's a vee twin but I don't have the engine number
    Two speed rear hub
    Countershaft clutch
    and that's about it.
    Nobody has been able to locate the frame number. Where should they be looking?
    I know this is not much info but I am no Thor expert and before I see the bike I'd like to have some facts that will help in narrowing down it's year of manufacture.
    The owner has viewed the two 1915 Thor's here in NZ and from this has deduced that his one is about 1912-13.
    Any informed help will be very much appreciated and if one of the forum members knows of a Thor expert that doesn't participate here his contact details would be very much appreciated.
    Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
    A.M.C.A. # 2777
    Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Thor expert,

Tommo, try this man In Norway. I sold him a 1915 Thor last year and he has a few more. Kurt Dale is his name, nice man. kurt.dale@DALEBRUK.NO A lot of Thor were shipped to Norway because of the name and they could not beat the Harleys. They were on there way out by 1916. The rear hub weighted in at 40 lbs. and it was junk. In 1915 they put a three speed in it.
    I know of a 1904 MARSH that was bought new and still in the family in Wanaka. NZ. I am helping him with some parts for it. You know of any MARSH parts?
    Terry Marsh

Comment

Thanks Terry any little bit helps.
      I'm aware of the 04 Marsh and I've already helped him with bits for his rear hub rebuild but as far as I know I don't have any other bits suitable for his rebuild.
      A.M.C.A. # 2777

Comment

Tommo, here's a site that might be worth taking a look at. http://209.204.252.20/ I've got some early ads around here somewhere, I'll see if they offer up any info. I can't think of any fine details offhand but I'm pretty sure there was a front fork change in 1915 and as Terry pointed out, they stayed with a rear hub form of transmission for a time after other brands were converting to "real" three speed trannys.
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

I know a guy with a 13, will try to git his number to you. Checking with him first, he lives in Arizona. Will git back to ya.

Comment

Thanks Tom
            A.M.C.A. # 2777

Comment

It sound like a 1915 to me. 1915 did have the 2 speed rear hub. Thor did stamp numbers in the engine parts (cases and so on). This indicate the year of make (the 2 first digits). There are no numbers on the frames. 1915 and later cylinders have a flat cover over the inlet valve. This is open on 1914 and 1913. Hope this will help you
              Ask if you have any questions

Comment

Thanks for all the input everybody.
                I got the engine number from the owner last night 15U 37**
                The motor is being reconditioned as we speak bore is 3 1/4 inches.
                All this seems to point to 1915.
                Good progress, keep it coming and thanks once again
                A.M.C.A. # 2777

Comment

Working...
                X