No announcement yet.

Winchester

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm currently reading "Schwinn Bicycles" by Jay Pridmore and Jim Hurd. The subject of rebadging bicycles comes up a lot which was both good and bad for many of the bicycle makers in the early 20th century. It is mentioned that big hardware stores and department stores were the kind of volume buyers that would want their names on bicycles and motorcycles. By the way; Schwinn Bicycles is a great book if you like Excelsior history.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

O.K. since bicycles were mentioned here goes.... I've seen more than a few bicycles that were "rebadges". I've got a CCM that has a Cleveland headbadge but I have another that is far more interesting. I was heading to a swapmeet on the West Coast a couple of years ago and spied an old bicycle in front of an antique store. It's frame in particular caught my interest. When I got up close to it I realized that it was a Fred Deeley bicycle from Vancouver, B.C. Fred was an early importer of H-D in Canada. I wasn't leaving without it so the bike went into the back of my truck. Upon doing a little research, all I could come up with was '60's and '70's multi-speed bikes. This bike is completely different. I believe it to be fairly early and when you put it side by side with an early ladies H-D bicycle it's pretty much identical. So, I'm wondering whether or not it's a rebadge but haven't been able to confirm anything yet.
      Cory Othen
      Membership#10953

Comment

it looks like this has come up before.http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bbo...ght=winchester

Comment

for what it is worth, i have seen the original winchester ad that the repo sign was made from. i cant find it now ,but as i recall it was advertised as a winchester arms product. which was a rebadged motorcycle they bought from marsh metz. i've been looking for a marsh metz for years to build one of these. guess someone beat me to it.
          www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

Originally posted by jurassic View Post
            for what it is worth, i have seen the original winchester ad that the repo sign was made from. i cant find it now ,but as i recall it was advertised as a winchester arms product. which was a rebadged motorcycle they bought from marsh metz. i've been looking for a marsh metz for years to build one of these. guess someone beat me to it.
            If you've seen an ad for one and Steve Wright noted it in his book, then that's good enough for me. I guess there was a rebadged Marsh Metz with a Winchester name on it after all!!!
            Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

I don't want to hear about any of the forum members fighting over this..... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1910-...item19c8bc5d04 It's beyond my wildest dreams.... I sure would like to see a couple of "before" photos....
              Cory Othen
              Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
                I sure would like to see a couple of "before" photos....
                Me too. But probably just a motor to start with, but still a killer bike. For only $800,000, you can own it. Anybody know who restored it? Looks to be a fine job.

Comment

It is a nice job; but I still don't believe it's name comes from Winchester repeating arms. Also, I would think Marsh-Metz would have had a slam dunk lawsuit against Winchester if Winchester had sold the rights to build an M-M to Edwin F. Merry.
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

Well folks... it sold...

http://thevintagent.blogspot.ca/2014...rcycle-or.html
                    Cory Othen
                    Membership#10953

Comment

Holy Crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Where are these numbskull buyers when I want to sell a bike? I still think that bike is a fantasy piece, and I still haven't seen reliable documentation to prove it's history. It just seems weird that Winnchester out of Connecticut, and Marsh-Metz from Massachusetts would have a company in California build a M-M clone. . . . But not as weird as someone paying $580K for Marsh-Metz
                        Eric Smith
                        AMCA #886

Comment

I can't believe it booted the previous record holders off their podiums! I think "Winchester" on the tank invoked some emotion in people.
                          Cory Othen
                          Membership#10953

Comment

Working...
                          X