• Show
Clear All

• Got zip?

tired old collector in need of a little zip![IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Jerry Wieland?[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

I hope you can read this. I believe very few were ever made. Good luck!

Dick
        Attached Files

Comment

More info.

Dick
          Attached Files

Comment

Duffycycles,

What publication is that you are finding this info? It looks interesting.

Cyclecars were something of an oddball creation that evolved out of the quadricycle. The early ones mostly used V-twin motorcycle engines (as you can see) but shortly moved to 4-cylinder types before vanishing. They were mostly built too small and light to stand the poor roads of the day. Today, however, they might be more successful. I'd like one.

Also, some famous early motorcycle guys like Perry E. Mack and Joe Merkel had short flings with cyclecars but they lost out on that stuff too when the cyclecar up and died.
            Herbert Wagner
            AMCA 4634
            =======
            The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

Hi Herb. I found those articles in The Des Moines Captital 10-17-13 and the second was from The San Antonio Light 11-09-13. Information is hard to come by. I wonder if any are left? It was a great name though. Zip! Won't ever see that again.

Dick

Comment

Herb, My info came from Cyclopedia of Automobile Engineering--5 volume set--1915 same one that I found the info on the early wick type carburetor--tomato can controversy. there was a 1910 set at Davenport many years ago.$100. I was broke didn't buy--covers cars boats bikes and designs ,very little of todays designs were not thought of by then .Published by Chicago American Technical society. I can bring to Waseon or Davenport if you want a look. thanx Dick for the info P.S I'm still whimpy on finances so if you have one for sale I will gladly repay you on Tuesday!

Comment

Originally posted by duffeycycles View Post
                  [IMG][/IMG]
                  Thanks for the info guys.

The Cricket cyclecar with the exposed v-twin engine on the side and with belt and pulley drive to the rear wheel looks like an early motorcycle with the rest of the car built around it! That would be quite an item ifyou could find one today. Good example of: What is it? Automobile? Motorcycle? Neither one actually. It's a "motocycle" in the original sense of the word in that strange family of 3 and 4 wheeled vehicles built with cycle technology altho in this case hidden somewhat with auto sheet metal. The motor and rear drive, however, give its true identity away. What a very cool and unique machine. All of them are.
                  Herbert Wagner
                  AMCA 4634
                  =======
                  The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

Working...
                  X