No announcement yet.

My free Honda

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is how the Merkel looks today. I worked on it last year with the goal of being able to ride it around like a bicycle. That meant tons of frame work, and alignment. You really have to be in the mood to work on some motorcycles and that is why I have so much respect for the Isams. All of these early bikes are tough, but it is rewarding. When I get back on the Merk, I'll go after the motor which I think is in very good condition. The V-belt is going to be the challenge. Thanks for asking Cory; now, how's your 1916 Powerplus comming along?
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Eric!!! That Merkel is sweet! That green grass is appealing too....

It appears as though I wasn't the fella to see the Powerplus through. I've passed it along to another forum member who will be actively searching for parts to complete the bike. He's a worthy candidate and I'm sure will do the machine justice.
      Cory Othen
      Membership#10953

Comment

It appears as though I wasn't the fella to see the Powerplus through. I've passed it along to another forum member who will be actively searching for parts to complete the bike. He's a worthy candidate and I'm sure will do the machine justice.
        I commend you Cory,
        Not many can accept the hard facts. I struggle with those decisions daily.
        What did Clint say? "A man needs to know his limitations", or something along those lines. As I age I see the edges of my life more clearly...
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Very well said Robbie, I fight it everyday also. I am fighting it right this minute, I would like to go to Oley tomorrow but promised myself only Wauseon this year. Instead I'm planning to drive cross country again this summer to take my daughter to see the Redwoods. 2 years ago I was in your territory, remember, boy that went quick. Time is very precious. Check back with me Monday to see if I could hold out from Oley! I think addictions to rust are worse than other addictions.
          Bob Rice #6738

Comment

I know what you mean about Oley, Bob. I would have loved to go as I have a lot of friends that will be there; but there are two good reasons for staying home. . . Maybe three. First, it is very expensive just to be there, plane ticket, rental car, food, lodging, booze, etc. Second, prices for parts at Oley are high and you can add the costs from #1 to those parts. And lastly, most people should be home working on their bike, but shopping is a lot more fun than wrenching. All of this is sour grapes on my part because I wish I had gone
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

I am dealing with a 'hoarder' right now... his vehicle collection is amazing, yet appalling. Many bought in the 1960's and probably pretty nice back then. Now, rusted, rotted, dismantled, scattered around the shop. Some 'started' in terms of restoration, but also some probably taken apart to keep them from getting stolen (fat chance) or to keep people from knowing what he has. Spectacular stuff, too. Things that should be 6-figure or 7-figure cars... destroyed by bad storage and contemptible neglect.

Admittedly, once it's yours... do with it as you will. But it pains me to see cars and bikes (and other treasures) rotting... especially when just some basic care would have, if not restored them, at least prevented deterioration.

As a pack rat myself... it's a situation I never want to find myself in. But am coming dangerously close to having 'too many projects!' Those who can sometimes put the 'good of the bike' ahead of their own desire to possess it... can be real credits to the hobby.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                I know what you mean about Oley, Bob. I would have loved to go as I have a lot of friends that will be there; but there are two good reasons for staying home. . . Maybe three. First, it is very expensive just to be there, plane ticket, rental car, food, lodging, booze, etc. Second, prices for parts at Oley are high and you can add the costs from #1 to those parts. And lastly, most people should be home working on their bike, but shopping is a lot more fun than wrenching. All of this is sour grapes on my part because I wish I had gone
                Dag gone it Eric, I felt good after my last post. I decided not to go tomorrow, but now?? I'm the same, a lot of friends there, only 10 hrs for me, beautiful weather especially after this winter, but I weigh working on the bikes instead of gathering more junk. 3 years ago I tortured myself right up until the last minute to leave for the Florida meet. I didn't go, so I went right in and bought a bike lift with the money I would have spent. This year I guess I will buy those B&B Reproduction saddlebags for my '62.
                Last edited by BigLakeBob; 04-23-2014, 02:57 PM.
                Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
                  I commend you Cory,
                  Not many can accept the hard facts. I struggle with those decisions daily.
                  What did Clint say? "A man needs to know his limitations", or something along those lines. As I age I see the edges of my life more clearly...
                  After reading my post again, I can see where I may have left things open to interpretation. My "limitations" were more of a financial thing. I had hoped to see the Indian through but it just wasn't in the cards. I'm confident the new owner will get the job done.
                  Cory Othen
                  Membership#10953

Comment

Let's see, we were talking about "My free Honda" earlier. Here are photos of my free 1966 150 cc Touring Benly (aka, 150 Dream).

It was missing the exhaust on one side, a side panel, and a rear view mirror. Also, the tank leaked beyond repair; the tires were original; and the seat was in horrible shape. My favorite junkyard (Outpost in Redbud,Missouri) and e-Bay furnished everything I needed. It still looks rough, but that is how I shall keep it.
                    George Tinkham
                    Springfield, IL
                    www.virmc.com
                    AMCA # 1494
                    1941 Indian 841
                    1948 Indian Chief
                    1956 H-D KHK
                    1960 CH
                    1964 BMW R69S
                    1966 Honda Touring Benly (aka "150 Dream")
                    1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Comment

Any update on the 550-Four?
                      Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

Originally posted by frichie68 View Post
                        Any update on the 550-Four?
                        Well Rich, I'm embarrassed to say that I've just let it sit, however, I have it inside the lawn mower shed so it's out of the elements. I filled the cylinders with oil, and put heavy wax, and oil on the chassis to slow down the aging. I still want to do the bike at some point but I need to pursue a title. Oh yeah, I've also got 5 other bikes ahead of it.

George, I love your '66.
                        Eric Smith
                        AMCA #886

Comment

Before you put any serious money or effort into this machine, please get your paperwork done. Otherwise, you might end up restoring someone else's bike!
                          George Tinkham
                          Springfield, IL
                          www.virmc.com
                          AMCA # 1494
                          1941 Indian 841
                          1948 Indian Chief
                          1956 H-D KHK
                          1960 CH
                          1964 BMW R69S
                          1966 Honda Touring Benly (aka "150 Dream")
                          1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Comment

Originally posted by fciron View Post
                            The 550-4 is often said to be the best handling of the early Honda four cylinder machines and all of the Honda Fours are becoming sought after. I would think it would be worth looking into a titling processes in your state or other options.
                            My best friends dad had a 750-4 . We used to race MX when we were 13 -15 years old, so we knew how to ride better than most street riders . My friend had a key to the 750 and when his parents would go out for an evening we would sneak it out and ride it all over the city . For a tank , it did handle pretty well

Comment

Every time I get the lawnmower out of the shed, I look longingly at the dejected 550 Honda. I'm dying to tear it down and get serious with it; but, as George Tinkham said above, not until I can get a title. I've written 3 registered letters to the owner's last known address; and even though someone there signs for the letters, I have yet to get a reply. I've told them they can have it back, or I'll pay for it, but still nothing. . .
                              Eric Smith
                              AMCA #886

Comment

Not sure about Fla, but here if they accept the letters and do not respond it is clear to apply for a new title as attempts were made and they did not care to respond, giving up claim.
                                Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Working...
                                X