Moto Guzzi V1000 Convert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moto Guzzi V1000 Convert

Years ago I was given a early 80's V1000 Convert that had sat for a long time. I rebuilt all the brake components, the carbs, installed new tires, etc. About 8 years ago I got frustrated working on it and went on to other projects. My frustrations had to do with my too big hands to reach all the stuff jammed into the frame.

Anyhow, I'm waiting on parts for my current projects (38 EL and 24 JD) so I decided to get frustrated with the Convert again. Here's my question:

Mounted on the front crash bar on either side of center are plastic covers that stick out almost vertical to the ground. I assume these are to facilitate engine cooling but I'm not sure. The ones I have are badly damaged. Are these required for the proper operation of this machine? I've had to other Moto Guzzi's (a 850T3 and V700) and neither had these plastic parts.

Steve Slaminko

The wings direct air into the cooler mounted above the alternator housing. There is an air bubble that builds up at speed. Without the wings, flow through the cooler is reduced. I have only seen rat converts without the wings. Every high mileage convert I've seen has the wings.

if you need a set, call Curtis Harper at harpers moto guzzi in Missouri. Tell him you're an amca member and he will help sort you. His stock of used parts is good and his prices to amca and moto guzzi owners club members is very very reasonable. Curtis even took a spare clutch cable off his dad's bike for me and over nighted it when I broke a cable on the road.

Comment

Yeah, I neglected to consider there's a cooler on a Convert and not a T3 or V700. Thanks !

Comment

Working...
      X