No announcement yet.

1978 Bmw R100rs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know what you mean Neil, I have a '72 toaster tank (best looking Beemer ever built by the way) for the last 20 years and have only done oil changes and valve adjustments. I ride it about 2000 miles a year as a spare bike and it just keeps running. It is some what of a gutless wonder because it is an R60, I take it to the blue ridge once a year for a long weekend run, usually about 500 miles. I ran into the Alabama BMW club one year at the Blue Ridge MC campground and some guy ask me how it ran in the mountains. I told him it ran great DOWN the hills, but kind of SLOW UP them. I'll dig out a picture to post....
    Onlt a few more years and yours will be an antique Neil..
    Louie
    FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
    Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
    YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

The R-100-RS Motorsport was a 200 bike limit 1978 only, The striping was 3 color in the BMW motorsport racing automobile colors. blue seat, 2.91 rear drive, 77din horsepower, red around the headlight, blue toolroll with red piping, triple disc, not to be confused with the last edition bikes that had metallic white paint. BMW also made 66 R-100-S Motorsport bikes but they never appeared in print. I bought mine new and still have it. If the first three digits are 606xxxx it is a euro model, if they are 616xxxx it is a us model.

Comment

My friend has a 1978 R100RS-serial no-6092804. Someone said it is a Belguim Police Model-it has a RT fairing and different paint and rear fender so need to know how to tell if it started life as a "Belguim Police" it does have a kick starter which I understand was not stock in 78 except for the "Police" model-any clues?
        Paul

Comment

The police bike was available in red in 78, kickstarter was standard on it, Don't try to kick it, 1000cc 9.5 compression and no compression release, plus they were geared too tall. I'm 6'2" and 300 pounds, and can barely move it. The 60 serial number indicates a euro spec model.

Comment

Working...
          X