After all these years …..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After all these years …..

From 1976 through 1986, I rode my ’64 BMW R69S everywhere: for business as well as pleasure. I rode it to trials in downstate counties, on camping trips, to family gatherings, and just for fun. Mileage reimbursement from one bout of litigation while I was with the Attorney General alone may have paid for what this bike cost me. In 1984 – 1986, the BMW helped me litigate the right to ride motorcycles on public highways and transported me up and down the State as I called meetings of clubs to help form what is now A.B.A.T.E. of Illinois.

Yes, this old bike has a lot of history behind it.

History, however, does not help a motorcycle run. By the end of 1986, the BMW was so difficult to start that I parked it in my brother’s shop for him to correct the starting problem when he had time. 30 years later, Ron had still not found the time to exterminate the gremlin that made the BMW so hard to start. In the past few years, other mechanics refreshed the engine and were able to get it to start for them, but not for me.

This summer, Ron and I were able to spend a day going over the ignition system on the R69S. Ron noted that the spark timing was not stable on the magneto. He suggested I consider looking at the spark advance mechanism. I have an extra spark advance that I put on the bike; however, I never attempted to start the bike afterwards. I just could not see how switching spark advances would make a difference.

Get ready for it. Here is the bonehead move of the season: I had made arrangements to go to a Tech Day at Don Beverage’s shop in northern Indiana to try to sort out the starting problem. So, without testing to see if the BMW would start, I loaded the bike in my trailer and headed for Don’s.

The next day at the tech session was a glorious opportunity to meet fellow BMW enthusiasts and to compare notes – including my tale of woe of a bike that did not want to start. After I adjusted handlebar controls knocked out of kilter when the bike slipped its moorings in the trailer on the way there, one of the guys suggested I kick the engine over just to see what would happen. I had nothing to lose; so, I turned on the gas & ignition and gave it a kick.

IT STARTED!

The R69S passed its final test 10 August 2022 when I rode it ~85 miles to & from a Springfield Milers BMW Motorcycle Club meeting in Chandlerville, IL. The ’64 BMW started reliably every time and handled the road with aplomb. It still has some rough edges, but it is awakening from its decades’ long dormancy. Right now, it does all the important stuff, and I couldn’t be happier.

George Tinkham
    Springfield, IL
    www.virmc.com
    AMCA # 1494
    1941 Indian 841
    1948 Indian Chief
    1956 H-D KHK
    1960 CH
    1964 BMW R69S
    1966 Honda Touring Benly (aka "150 Dream")
    1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Need a photo of your bike.

Comment

GREAT story; may you two enjoy many miles and years together.

Comment

That's great, enjoy the rides!
        AMCA #41287
        1971 Sprint SS350 project
        1982 FXR - AMCA 98.5 point restoration
        1979 FXS 1200 never done playing
        1998 Dyna Convertible - 100% Original
        96" Evo Softail self built chopper
        2012 103" Road King "per diem"
        plus 13 other bikes over the years...

Comment

...wait, Ron took thirty years, but he eventually figured it out? Great story! (One of my brothers is on the same schedule )
          Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

The first photo with me wearing an orange T shirt was taken at the Tech Day in Indiana on August 6th where I discovered that I had fixed the bike before I trailered ~200 miles each way to that event. The second photo was taken in 1978 with my son Brent who is now a partner in a Chicago law firm. The last 2 photos were taken a week ago. They show the present condition of the Wixom fairing and BUCO saddlebags. Also, I shortened the windshield 4" to provide less wind drag and better clarity. With a full face helmet, I do not need to have a wind screen in front of my face. More photos and stories are available; however, this gives an idea of what this fine old motorcycle is like.
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 4 photos.
            George Tinkham
            Springfield, IL
            www.virmc.com
            AMCA # 1494
            1941 Indian 841
            1948 Indian Chief
            1956 H-D KHK
            1960 CH
            1964 BMW R69S
            1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Comment

Howdy sir,

Five years ago I shared in your tale of woe on hard (nearly impossible) cold starts, in my case compounded by unpredictable hot starts and dry fouling under load. This after fitting a custom ignition from BTH legendary for transforming Vincent’s. Last year as we contemplated the challenge of riding AZ, NM and UT I began to have second thoughts about subjecting the missus to so many challenging miles perched on a thin pad on the luggage rack of a Knucklehead….yet again.

I dragged my trusty old R69S from the back of the shop and started over. First time on the list: solve my ignition. After much head scratching I concluded, unlike a traditional mag ignition, this CD based one needed resistance. NGK has an excellent site for finding just the right app for one’s machine, with 5k ohm resistor caps on NOS original spec plugs and my ignition system now cross grounded to each major component and the frame it is beyond a delight: 100 watt alternator, cold starts without a carb tickler on the first kick and nearly same on warm. It performed flawlessly on that and two AMCA Road Runs since. See you on it in LaCrosse and Dixon if on your itinerary.

https://petergz.smugmug.com/Motorcyc...R69S/i-f4L69PJ
              Cheerio,
              Peter
              1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

Here is my '64 BMW R69S set up for a 350+ mile overnight journey to and from the Chief Blackhawk Swap Meet in Davenport, Iowa. I slept next to the bike at the Fairgrounds Thursday night. I found a rare piece for one of my bikes my 1st day there. Except for a carburetor problem on the way home, the R69S ran great. Yes, I shall retain the patina on the BMW. As long as it (and I) run good, I am happy.
                Attached Files
                George Tinkham
                Springfield, IL
                www.virmc.com
                AMCA # 1494
                1941 Indian 841
                1948 Indian Chief
                1956 H-D KHK
                1960 CH
                1964 BMW R69S
                1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Comment

Working...
                X