No announcement yet.

New to me '78 R80/7 - it's got issues!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to me '78 R80/7 - it's got issues!

Hey. fellers,
    After finishing my latest American bike (third one in a row) I decided to do something different. I wanted to try something European & ended up with this '78 R80/7. I probably paid too much for it, cuz the more I Iook at it the more issues I find. Ah, well, pig in a poke & all that.
    Anyway, I'm looking to fix a few issues & replace a few missing bits.
    1) Looks like handlebar switches are no longer available. Does anybody refurbish them? I took the right handlebar switch off & it appears it's not serviceable. Bobs & Max both list it as no longer available. So I need a replacement or someone to rebuild the one I have. Main problem is the start button works intermittently. Guessing the contacts are dirty/dodgy. Ideas?
    2) Bobs BMW & Max BMW list a few parts like the tank emblems, but there are reviews that say they are not quite the right color. Anyone have any experience with these?
    3) Service manual. Is the Clymer the best choice? Looks like a factory service manual is not an option.
    4) The tranny is a big box o' neutrals. Every shift is a crap shoot whether I get a gear or just another neutral. I'm thinking I wanna send it our for rebuild this winter, but I have no idea where to go. Suggestions?
    5) I'm interested in general suggestions on where to go for stuff. I've poked around Bobs BMW & Max BMW websites, but R80/7 parts seem kinda thin. Are those my best options or do you have other suggestions?
    Thanks fellers. This is gonna be an adventure!

BTW, here's pic or two
    IMG_20210517_163620895_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210517_163326743.jpg

Comment

You might try Repsycle BMW Parts in Lithopolis, OH

https://re-psycle.com

I have acquired some parts for an R90/6 from them in the past.

Comment

Thanks J!
        I just sent them an e-mail with a list of trinkets I'm looking for. We'll see what they say.

Comment

Check with Vech at Bench Mark Works. He is a major parts supplier and restorer. Also Capital Cycle and Blue Moon. Lots of stuff out there.
          I have a 1980 R100RS, a 1955 R69, and a 1965 R69S. Various others have come and gone.
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks Robbie!
            I just spent some time poking around their websites.
            Looks like Bench Mark lists a right side handle bar switch listed. Unclear if it's the correct one - there's no photo & I've found several different part numbers listed as fitting R80/7.
            Mine looks like the one with start button, run/stop & turn signal button. I've also seen the other one listed as correct for R80/7, but that's not what mine looks like.
            I'll keep looking into it & start contacting some of these sources.
            Thanks very much!
            Attached Files

Comment

I have a '77 R75/7, but I bought all put together and haven't had to do much to it. I'll check the paperwork that came with it when I got it to see where the previous owner purchased parts from, but I bought it about 13 years ago so some of those sources may not be around anymore. One place I did look at for a switch I needed was Euro Moto Electrics. https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/category-s/1698.htm. I didn't end up needing to buy the switch so I can't personally attest to their quality, but it looks like they still have parts in stock.

I'll check back in after I am able to dig out the old paperwork and see if there is anything worthwhile in it. And thanks for posting the pics. I enjoy my airhead and hope you will too!
              Eric Olson
              Membership #18488

Comment

Dug out the paperwork I have from the previous owner. Looks like most of the OE parts were sourced from Bob's BMW or the local Northern California BMW dealership. All other parts are non-original. The bike wasn't restored to original, but was instead transformed a into a bit of a cafe racer.
                31-0100.jpg
                Eric Olson
                Membership #18488

Comment

Thanks everyone. I've got an email in with repsycle but I haven't heard back yet. I'll give them another day or two then start trying some of the other sources that have been suggested.

Comment

My R100RS is a bit more of a road burner...Big bore kit w/high compression pistons, triple valve spring w/titanium collars, radial thrust bearings on rockers, sport cam, dual plugged, modified airbox, modified mufflers. Telefix brace and billet top tree. It will rev to 8500, cruise at 100mph all day and yet amazingly docile like all BMWs. Some years back waiting for the ferry to Nova Scotia in Bar Harbor ME, my wife's Honda VFR800 in the background.
                    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

In addition to the above, Rubber Chicken Racing Garage can sell parts. The owner and only employee is a 40+ year airhead guru who worked with the factory on development of some bikes. He is a wealth of information and well as a parts source.
                      bmwmotorcycletech.Info is an extensive (to say the least) encyclopedia of airhead information. Airlist is a e-mail list with information from experts and idiots. You get to decide which, but it can be very useful.
                      Also if you are anywhere near Waynesville, NC, there will be an Airhead club tent at the RA national rally in August. Nice to see another Beemer here,

Bob

Comment

Thanks for the leads, Bob. I'll add them to my list of sources.
                        I never heard anything back from re-psycle, so I ended up putting in a couple small orders with Bob's and Max. Received the orders painlessly and reasonably quickly.
                        I think I'm done with sourcing parts for the short term. I'm just going to ride it for the rest of the summer and then tear into it once riding weather is over.
                        The only question I still have (for now) is about the transmission. As I mentioned, it's got way too many neutrals in it. Is that normal or does this tranny need help? I've been paying close attention to my shifts and I'm sure I'm moving the lever the full distance, but sometimes it just doesn't find a gear. I've found false neutrals on the 2-3, 3-4, or 4-5 shifts. Anyone have any wisdom?

Comment

Originally posted by RSunday View Post
                          Thanks for the leads, Bob. I'll add them to my list of sources.
                          I never heard anything back from re-psycle, so I ended up putting in a couple small orders with Bob's and Max. Received the orders painlessly and reasonably quickly.
                          I think I'm done with sourcing parts for the short term. I'm just going to ride it for the rest of the summer and then tear into it once riding weather is over.
                          The only question I still have (for now) is about the transmission. As I mentioned, it's got way too many neutrals in it. Is that normal or does this tranny need help? I've been paying close attention to my shifts and I'm sure I'm moving the lever the full distance, but sometimes it just doesn't find a gear. I've found false neutrals on the 2-3, 3-4, or 4-5 shifts. Anyone have any wisdom?
                          Fairly common and likely needs the shifter springs replaced. The boxes are pretty tough, but since they have three shafts they have a lot of mass slinging around creating most of the infamous "clunk". You can swap a lot of stuff around on those bikes, even put a kickstart on it if you like, bolt a 1000 top end on it, etc, etc! There are a couple of special tools to get into the gearbox issues but all easily doable if you have decent mechanical skills.
                          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Excellent info, Robbie, thanks very much.
                            I also got a Clymer manual (it's an inch & a half thick!) with one of my recent orders, so I'll sit down & study the transmission section soon.
                            Quick question: My recent transmission experience has been with HD flathead trannies: they have all kinds of shimming & adjusting going on in there... Are BMW trannies anything like that? Or is it more just a matter of replacing the worn parts & slap 'er back together? I guess I'll figure that out when I start reading the manual.
                            Thanks again for the help everyone

Comment

Much shimming. Airheads Beemer Club has some loaner tools such as the plate and parallel bar needed to make measurements.

Comment

Working...
                              X