WTB Carburetors BMW R69

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTB Carburetors BMW R69

Hi there, I'm building a BMW 1957 R69 from piles of rust. Yes, it would likely be easier to just part out what I have but I refuse! It WILL become a bike one day. While the cylinders are soaking in Evapo-Rust, I thought it would be a good time to look for some of the harder to find parts. I'm looking for a set of carbs for a BMW R69 or R69S in good, useable and affordable condition. A longshot I know but I need to start somewhere. The R69 and R69S carbs are different from the R50 and R60 carbs in that they are 26mm rather than the usual 24mm. Another way to tell them apart from the R50 and R60 is they have an additional counter-bore on the face of the intake flange.

So, have a look in your carb boxes and see what you can find and please let me know.

Thanks!

Pokie,
    Any of the R69 or R69S carbs will work, but the ones you need to be correct are a 9 and 10. You can buy new replacement carbs from Bing, but they are very expensive. But then, any 26MM bings you find will be expensive...
    Robbie
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Hi Robbie, thanks for the note. I have priced them from Bing as well as a couple of places on Ebay. I'm more hoping for something affordable. I'm not worried about the correct carbs for that year, only a pair suitable for an R69 or R69S. At this point I'm not all that picky. I doubt this bike will be anywhere close enough to be judged. The frame is wrong, the forks are wrong, the wheels are wrong. It's a bitsa but I'd like it to run decently. Creating a nice, running bike from parts that are rusted solid is very satisfying for me. After I am able to finish up the engine, the transmission will be next. It too is locked solid but I have hope.

Comment

I have some early stuff Pokie. I have a '55 R69 and a '65 R69S. But i have some extra bits as well and maybe some tranny stuff.

My R69

Last edited by Rubone; 10-30-2015, 10:24 PM.
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

My goodness Robbie, that sure is a pretty R69. Maybe one day we can stand our two R69s together, folks can drool over yours and laugh at mine!

Comment

It started out a bit rougher...

Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Robbie, looks like you got a walk in the park! Here's mine, just the way I got it,...

R69motor001.jpg

Either way, it's still a heck of a lot of work! I still like yours better.

Comment

You are a glutton for punishment Pokie
                Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Robbie, I have to agree with you there. I have a serious problem with allowing a bike to die, I just can't do it. Then there's my need to build. Put both those needs together and you've got some serious trouble. The people that like to part out bikes must love me, I'm always looking for something. Being retired, my biggest problem is being able to afford things as they come up. Let's see, do I eat or buy that part? I usually end up with parts that are so bad that I spend more time trying to make said part work than it's use would ever allow, even when it was new!

I know, you've seen this photo before but here's my last project when it came home,...

72BMW1.jpg

Comment

Working...
                  X