Vincent Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vincent Review

These bikes just seem to speak to me. I think maybe it's the thought of that torque!!!

Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

I'm an Indian guy who owns a lot of old Harleys who likes to ride his 53 Vincent when quiet time is needed. "Old Bikes, Young hearts"
    Ross

Comment

That's the spirit Ross! I'm sure you have a happy fleet! Great quote by the way!
      Cory Othen
      Membership#10953

Comment

Howdy Cory,

That torque is the foundation for what defines the effortless performance Vin's deliver: no rev's required, no signs of strain/hot oil when really pushed hard, they just deliver. Especially with the C series fitted with those girdraulics, they ride "big" for being so small and light at 459lbs. The controls are very firm, no chassis flex and though the ride harsh to some, they stay very composed and planted on irregular surfaces.

Whereas transportation has become increasingly generic these days where one can hardly tell the difference between a Passat, Camry or Impala when behind the wheel, machinery yesterday was delightfully unique by marque. How else could you explain the availability of a Knucklehead, Chief and Vincent Rapide in 1946. Each had very prominant strengths and shortcomings. None were really claiming they were the best overall, just the best answer for what the customer wanted in that particular machine. I ride all three of the above and whatever I'm on is the favorite at that moment, but will say, there's really nothing like a Vin.

And here was the perfect venue for experiencing that.
        Cheerio,
        Peter
        1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

Peter,

You put together a nice visual on what makes a Vincent a great bike. I'm still watching from the grandstands but maybe one day I'll get my hands on one. I ran into a Vincent rider on a road run last summer and just had to ask, " So, does riding a Vincent cause one to have to have one?" The answer was, "no, it leads to having to have two or three!"

The Dragon does look like quite the ride.
          Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

http://www.topgear.com/uk/videos/train-race-part-1

For those who are fans of Top Gear, you have probably seen this... but it is a race staged between an Xk120, a Steam train and a Vincent Black Shadow. Brilliantly done and filmed. Done in a couple of parts, but worth watching just for the sheer brilliance of it.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Cory....you are causing me to go HUNTING....for a Vincent. Found a 47 Rapide for 19,900.00 on Glasyads....a scam as I posted this to the Vincent owners forum. Beware!

SO the hunt still goes on. Talked with Bonhams about their upcoming auction. No matter how much I like something, as they will have a few Vincent's available, I cannot get my head wrapped around paying someone 15% fee to the 50K which an auctioned Vincent can easily bring, but the 10% there after. Shoots, that total of fees is a rebuild when the time comes!!

I my have another lead on one, but not certain where it will end up at this point.

Peter, I have been to your web site prior. That is a great find you have there. Nothing like finding a diamond in the rough. Don't want to say anymore as the envy will become a LOT more apparent, other than if luck is in the cards, someday......
              Last edited by ricmoran; 04-30-2013, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Sirhr! I've seen only the Vincent portion of that show. I will be taking the entire thing in now though. Thank-you for posting the link!

Rich..... sorry for making the "fever" worse... I get caught up in the "early" stuff for the most part but every once in awhile the Vincent will come knocking on my mind's door. I think I can relate as to why you want to hunt one down. Seeing as I'm not in the market at the moment I will start paying better attention. I mean really.... let's get this figured out. You shouldn't have to suffer!
                Cory Othen
                Membership#10953

Comment

While I was surfin' about the net I tripped across this... http://www.motorcycleclassics.com/cl...lightning.aspx It's a three page article about a pretty cool story!
                  Cory Othen
                  Membership#10953

Comment

Howdy Ric,

Thank you sir, meant to comment on that 47 over on the VOC forum after your post but could not as I have not re-registered after they made the site upgrades a while back. I do believe that machine was the one outlined in MPH magazine a within the last year or so that was an original paint, one owner (?) acquired recently by a gent from Belgium or Germany(?) who carefully fettled the mechanicals without touching the aesthetics much. A now laudible approach very late to the Vin world that we had embraced at the AMCA a long time ago.

Can't tell you how many original Vin's with character have been ruined with over the top stainless fastener encrusted restorations, likely driven by their cult status/value. It's to that end that I decided to do a blatantly "sympathetic" restoration at the bottom end of the aesthetic scale on my Shadow: 5 cans of Krylon and a touch of carpel tunnel syndrome later, it runs like a top needing only a swipe of an oily rag occassionaly to return to form no matter how dingy it's gotten.

Good luck with your search, they may have only built 6,800 or so twins between 46 and 55 but a surprising number still remain.
                    Cheerio,
                    Peter
                    1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

If anyone is interested... I think that the Top Gear episode on BBC America Tonite at 9pm is the race from London to Edinburgh between the Jag, the Vincent and the steam train. Uttely worth watching. According to the Dish guide, anyway. Can't vouch for its accuracy ;-)

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Working...
                      X