Vincent Black Shadow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vincent Black Shadow

I've had these odd thoughts that are out of the norm for me lately.... I have to admit the Vincent has been on the edge of my radar for many years but recently I've had more of an interest. Anyway, while searching around to feed my abstract mental ramblings, I stumbled across this video. I got a kick out of it and thought others may too.

Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Owning one of these would be good fun. Then you'd need the shop bits and pieces to keep up with it too.

Comment

Originally posted by ricmoran View Post
      Owning one of these would be good fun. Then you'd need the shop bits and pieces to keep up with it too.
      Actually the Vincent Spares company - an offshoot of the vincent Owners Club - can supply virtually every part needed to rebuild most Vincent motorcycles. In fact a few years ago they built an new Vincent completely from new spare parts available through them.
      It is too bad that the 1949 Vindian project of a Vincent Rapide engine in an Indian Chief chassis was not carried on with due to financing problems. Even with the touring Vincent Rapide engine in it a '49 Chief could go 20 mph faster than the stock Chief.
      AFJ

Comment

Thanks for that advice about the Vincent Spares Company.

Interesting that one could build a bike from currently produced parts. I would believe by building a bike this way, there would be some type of difference in value between an original and something built by an individual. Is there anything out there that shows what one could expect if they were to build soemthign like this for a potential resale value versus an original bike?

TH epurpose of this exercise is not so much, hey, I cna build these for resale en-masse, but what one could expect when the time comes to sell the machine.

Of course we all start off saying "I'll never sell this" but in this instance, if an original came along versus a self built bike th edesire to own an original built bike is a big motivator to sell the bike built an duse th eproceeds for an original.

I am going to spend some time checkign the parts and prices out to see what ti would take to do somethign like this. I still have remorse over passing on a Black Shadow years ago, in the mid 70's for 7,000.00 U$. The bike was complete, running an din excellent condition.

Then, my first 39 knucklehead kept me happy and out of want for another bike. Ever since, I think about the Black Shadow and realize you only live once, so why not?

Ha dnot heard about the project mentioned above, but then again, I am not networked well enough into the Indian or Vincent scene.

Comment

I don't think anyone is ever truly satisified with any one particular machine. There's gotta be something on the wish list! I don't know how realistic a Black Shadow is for me but then again I don't mind the Comet either. Best of luck in your search ricmoran! Have you found these guys yet? http://www.voc.uk.com/
          Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

Oh yes Cory, I have. A short time ago a Vincent was sold in Vegas on Ebay and I think it went for something like 55 k or so.

I've been watching for some time as I have thought about a JD, would prefer a JDH. But if a chance at a Vincent came up and the arrangements be made within a reasonable time I'd jump at the opportunity to purchase one, or perhaps in this case, at least study what it would cost to build one form these later produced reproduction parts.

Time will tell all.

Comment

Howdy Cory,

Absolutely lovely machines, maneuvering around one now to get to my lift to work on one of the Chiefs. You can read about its resusitation after 30 years in a damp garage here. After having ridden all sorts of vintage machines one can only sum up a Vincent as the unfair advantage among their peers of the era. Their performance is essentially effortless, to be sitting bolt up right in the saddle with the roar of a 110mph wind hammering you with throttle still left in hand on a 60 year old machine is a defining difference when one considers they can plod around town slowly as evidenced by their use once as police bikes in Argentina. Vincents, especially the C series with girdraulic forks ride much "bigger" than their diminutive wheel base and spindly appearance would imply. They feel rock solid at the helm and the motors unbelievabley torquey requiring no rev's to peform. a 100 is achieved at only 4,200rpm on standard gearing.

Will say though, unless driven to have a Shadow, a Rapide is perfect and after all these years the performance difference minimal if at all. Shadows have gotten stupidly priced....like other machines we like. For a more unique ride I'd humbly suggest the sport configuration with 19/20 inch wheels and birmabrites over the touring configuration which relates handling wise to vintage American machines. The sports machines are more tossable though it may take a while for one to get comfortable with the concept of over the top riding on that small 3.00 x 20 section front tire barely larger than a Schwinn bicycles.

The repro machine built here several years ago was a C series Black Shadow and was auctioned off, I'm thinking, bringing about $50k, quite a bit less than it cost to build. Likely better to start with a powerplant (definitely need at least the cases), UFM and RFM, preferably matching. The rest essentially can be bought out of the VOC Spares and peripheral vendors.

And in an ironic twist, even with a couple of these, I still lust for an old knucklehead, so go figure, guess AMCA'rs eyes are always roving for the next love.

But in the meantime, here's my Vincent Playlist on youtube with 100 videos for your entertainment.
              Last edited by PRG; 04-07-2012, 10:52 AM.
              Cheerio,
              Peter
              1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

Peter,

Thank you for posting the info and links.

After further thought of do I want another Harley a earlier model than the 39 Knucklehead in the garage or a Vincent, I am leaning towards either a Rapide or Black Shadow so the search is on.

I've found 3 thus far, one from a fellow who is here in Hawaii. He seems not too much in a hurry to sell as is the typical case and the other 2, a Rapide and a Black Shadow may prove to be a challenge at best to purchase due to not money, but other factors.

As is the usual case time will tell.

After looking at the Vincent Spares, building one of these is a distinct reality but as is the usual case an original Vincent is preffered.

I presume this challenge makes me one of many others who are looking as well to ownership of one of these.

Comment

Originally posted by ricmoran View Post
                  ... I still have remorse over passing on a Black Shadow years ago, in the mid 70's for $7,000.00 US. The bike was complete, running an din excellent condition.

Then, my first 39 knucklehead kept me happy and out of want for another bike. Ever since, I think about the Black Shadow and realize you only live once, so why not? ...
                  Passed on one at $7,000? That's nothin'. I passed on a complete HRD in 1969 for $500 !!! The clutch was in bits on the floor next to it, owner was frustrated, and spares were virtually unobtainable at the time. Would have taken my bikin' life in an entire different direction, also, tho. I soon stumbled (literally) over my first Old Harley, virtually "down the street" from the Vincent, so I'm glad things worked out as the did. Live and learn!
                  Gerry Lyons #607
                  http://www.37ul.com/
                  http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

My friend Marsh is about 78 now. The 1950's were his time and he was wild. He was a lineman in West Virginia when that state was first getting electricity in it's remote locations. He was also a pilot, and aircraft mechanic. He had a '47 knucklehead that he massaged, but it also had to be reliable because it was his sole transportation. He has a story about a Vincent. A good motorcycle friend of his had recently bought one and thought he now owned the fastest motorcycle in that region, and relentlessly badgered Marsh to race him. They knew of a place near a reservoir that offered no interference and went at it. Marsh claimed his friend couldn't beat him after numerous matches. His friend was very disappointed and surrmised that he was the problem, so he told Marsh that he would buy him beer all night if they could swap bikes and Marsh could beat the Knuck with the Vincent. Again, they raced a number of times and Marsh finally beat his own bike but he claims it was because his pal was not as good a rider. After the racing, Marsh spent some time going over the Vincent to find something that could have been "off" and he claimed there was nothing profoundly wrong with it, and the Vincent was relatively new. Marsh felt the Vincent just didn't have the drag racing guts that the Knuck had.
                    Eric Smith
                    AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by PRG View Post
                      Howdy Cory,

Absolutely lovely machines, maneuvering around one now to get to my lift to work on one of the Chiefs. You can read about its resusitation after 30 years in a damp garage here. After having ridden all sorts of vintage machines one can only sum up a Vincent as the unfair advantage among their peers of the era. Their performance is essentially effortless, to be sitting bolt up right in the saddle with the roar of a 110mph wind hammering you with throttle still left in hand on a 60 year old machine is a defining difference when one considers they can plod around town slowly as evidenced by their use once as police bikes in Argentina. Vincents, especially the C series with girdraulic forks ride much "bigger" than their diminutive wheel base and spindly appearance would imply. They feel rock solid at the helm and the motors unbelievabley torquey requiring no rev's to peform. a 100 is achieved at only 4,200rpm on standard gearing.

Will say though, unless driven to have a Shadow, a Rapide is perfect and after all these years the performance difference minimal if at all. Shadows have gotten stupidly priced....like other machines we like. For a more unique ride I'd humbly suggest the sport configuration with 19/20 inch wheels and birmabrites over the touring configuration which relates handling wise to vintage American machines. The sports machines are more tossable though it may take a while for one to get comfortable with the concept of over the top riding on that small 3.00 x 20 section front tire barely larger than a Schwinn bicycles.

The repro machine built here several years ago was a C series Black Shadow and was auctioned off, I'm thinking, bringing about $50k, quite a bit less than it cost to build. Likely better to start with a powerplant (definitely need at least the cases), UFM and RFM, preferably matching. The rest essentially can be bought out of the VOC Spares and peripheral vendors.

And in an ironic twist, even with a couple of these, I still lust for an old knucklehead, so go figure, guess AMCA'rs eyes are always roving for the next love.

But in the meantime, here's my Vincent Playlist on youtube with 100 videos for your entertainment.
                      That was a great read on your Black Shadow Peter! Inspiring for sure.... now that I have the link, I will have to take a tour through your other bike articles as well!!! Yes, I too think that an AMCA'er is always looking for another bike to lust over! Here's hoping that Knucklehead rolls up your driveway sometime soon!
                      Cory Othen
                      Membership#10953

Comment

My friend sent images over of his Rapdie. I wish I could post them but have not gotten his okay to do so. During the week I'll ask him if it is okay to post a couple of pics. This bike is not set up for road use, and is stripped down and built for one purpose, to go fast.

Comment

Howdy Cory,

Well thank you sir, you can view my shameless whining for a Knuckle here...trinket encrusted most desirable, but more than willing to doll up something emerging from the barn not yet dressed up.

Though many have exploited Vincents in drag racing like Max Lambky here with his magnesium monster, from an athlete’s standpoint, I’ve always viewed them from a decathlete’s perspective: excellent all-arounders better suited to grinding their opposition down into submission. Most any Vin’s acceleration is nothing like that of say the crack of an XR1000, rather, they swell up like a freight train to maintain speeds, especially in trying conditions like very hot weather or elevation, that would have their contemporaries overheating and evidencing other signs of distress. You’ll rarely see oil temps surpass 180degrees F when many older HD’s will be pushing 220-230 and their top ends can routinely go 2 to 3 times as far as most OHV’s of the era. Most of us have read about Tony Rose’s famous 100k miles in one year on his Shadow dragging a chair for most of the way holding 90mph for long stretches. Max has an excellent site on the performance side of Vin’s here.

Ric, dare I mention the invest word but it would appear your cannot go wrong pursuing a Shadow these days. For the joy of merely owning/riding a Vin, a Rapide is just as good and for larger riders, a C series is probably advisable with its slightly longer wheelbase, shocks on both ends and stiffer forks. D’s are an acquired taste and even though a larger rider, I personal prefer to sit “in” my Vin – in the tradition of 101 Scouts - rather that perched “on” top with these machines.

To get a good feel for the mechanicals involved, you might want to check out Max’s restoration series at thevincent.com here and here is a list of interesting Vin links to gander at. Though they are hugely supported in reproduction pieces, when shopping at this level, to prevent it from becoming a very protracted project, I’d likely purchase the most complete matching number foundation one can locate with the fewest unalterable modifications possible. These machines are a magnet for the well intentioned garage engineer so be prepared to encounter a profusion of well intentioned (but often not needed) “improvements.” You can get a feel for how few are required by viewing some of the recommendations at my site in my sig below.
                          Last edited by PRG; 04-09-2012, 10:41 AM.
                          Cheerio,
                          Peter
                          1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

Peter, thanks for that link to the Vincent Streamliner. I saw that bike run at Bonneville a few years back. It's quite the machine.

Ricmoran! Hopefully your buddy doesn't mind a viewing of his Rapide!
                            Cory Othen
                            Membership#10953

Comment

In the meantime here is something called "food for thought" http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/19/872...irst-Ride.aspx

Comment

Working...
                              X