Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tt-120-r

I am posting this for a friend he has a 1966 TT-120-R
    He was wondering if the colors on the bike could be the original paint scheme,the bike is a cream color with orange stripes it looks to be the original or a very old repaint?

also looking for the tank knee pads

Thanks in advance
    Chuck
    AMCA Member#1848

Hi Chuck,

Found this here in UK
    Maybe of some help if it matches up to your buddys painted stripes, claimed to be a correct resto.
    scroll down to Triumph`s for sale

http://www.ventureclassics.com/stock%20list.htm

http://www.ventureclassics.com/T120%20JKE46D%20094.JPG

Comment

Thanks Greg,
      That looks to be roughly the same, his is original not the best of shape but not to bad in my mind.
      It needs the tank knee pads.

Trying to convince him to keep it original
      Chuck
      AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Chuck
        Standard T120 colors for '66 were Alaskan White with Grenadier red stripes. The white is an off white shade and the red leans toward orange. Sounds like it has a correct type paint job, whether original or a re-paint. Any pictures of it?
        Robbie
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Paint finish

Any ideas on caring for the paint finish there are a couple of dents a few small chips but over all the paint looks pretty good any ideas thoughts on this?
          Attached Files
          Chuck
          AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Wash it. Polish it. Wax it, and leave it alone.
            Be sure to visit;
            http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
            Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
            Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Thanks Chris,

The main consern is the underside of the tank the paint is blistering from the tank and he doesn't want it to spread any more than what it has.

He has talked about having it repainted but I can't see doing that to it personally it's in pretty damn good shape especially with where it's been stored.

I thought maybe touching it up on the underside to help control the spread of rust,but then in my mind it's no longer original.
              Chuck
              AMCA Member#1848

Comment

That tank needs to be preserved before the rust completely destroys it. If not preserved now then in ten years or so it will need to be restored, and that’s when it will no longer be original. Preserve it now or risk losing its originality. Just my opinion. -Steve
                ------------
                Steve
                AMCA #7300

Comment

Hi Steve,

When you are saying preserve my thoughts,ideas would be to remove any blistering paint clean it up and use some paint to touch it up only to seal it he would be using original paint and it is on the underside.

I can also agree with what Chris said but would that process be enough to stop from spreading if you were to remove the blistering paint on the underside of the tank?

The chips on the top side of the tank with polishing and wax I personally don't see any problems with that figuring the chips would be filling with wax so some extent.
                  Chuck
                  AMCA Member#1848

Comment

I agree Chuck, Leave the top as is, but dress up the bottom. I wish the tank on my 76 looked as good as that 66 tank. -Steve
                    ------------
                    Steve
                    AMCA #7300

Comment

Working...
                    X