Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1936 Norton ES2

Hi,

Here's a question I wonder if any can help me with. I own a 1936 Norton ES2. The petrol tank is silver all over with correct pinstripes and decals, yet my oil tank is Chrome with Silver inset. My question is:
    Can any one tell me if my assumtion is correct in that the ES2 came from the factory with thier tanks partly chromed (as Iv'e seen other models from the same period), and that mine is this way, (being painted all silver) as a result of damage? There is incidentally a patch on the underside of the tank that suggests a piece was cut out and welded back in order to hammer out a dent.

Your thoughts please.

Regards,

Jeff

1936 Norton finish

The British weekly "The Motor Cycle" for Feb. 6, 1936 tested a '36 Norton ES2. Pictures show and text confirms the petrol tank was chromium plated with enamelled (silver)and lined (wide black line and thin innner red line) panels; the oil tank was similarly finished. The wheel rims were plated and the centers enamelled black. Mudguards, frame, headlamp shell, chaincase and chainguard enamelled black. Headlamp rim, footbrake pedal, kickstarter and gearshift lever chrome plated.

According to Roy Bacon's book "Norton Singles", cheaper models had black painted rims, racers had either dull nickel plated or silver painted tanks in the 1930's. There is some suggestion that the cheaper model 18 or 16 H might have had silver painted tanks and black wheel rims in the 1930s but then the oil and petrol tanks would have been done the same way.

AFJ

Comment

Working...
    X