G 80 CS what yearis it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G 80 CS what yearis it?

I am looking to buy a pair of Matchless's. One is supposed to be a 1963 350 street model, 80% complete, #'s start with G5. The other is a G 80 CS, looks to be about 60% there. Also a set of bare cases starting with 61 G2.
    How do I determine the years on the G5 and the G 80? I've searched for a # system but finally give up.

Thanks, Kerry
    Kerry AMCA # 15911

Kerry,
    AMC products generally had the year of manufacture as the first two digits of the engine number. That includes Matchless and AJS along with others. The G5 was built from '60-'62. The G80CS was built up to'64. The G2 cases are 250 single.
    Robbie
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks, that helps on the G-5, the owner believes it's a 63. I looked closely at the G 5 and the G 80 #'s and there is and seems to never been any #'s stamped before the G's. Do you have any idea where I can research this further? And any Idea of a fair price for two basket cases and the extra set of 61 G2 cases.
      Kerry
      Kerry AMCA # 15911

Comment

try britbike.com

Comment

Thanks, I posted on there. See what I can find out.
          Kerry
          Kerry AMCA # 15911

Comment

Try searching by AMC as opposed to Matchless. You will find lots more info. And try the AMC registry www.jampot.co.nz. As far as value be aware that parts for any of them are thin on the ground in the US. Domi-Racer is probably your best bet although I heard they sold most of their stock to an English enthusiast and it went home. The cases are a novelty but likely worth zip without any of the rest of it. The G80CS is the most desirable. The 350 will likely cost more to finish than it would be worth in the end. If you want them and they are cheap go for it. If you want a runner any time soon find some different bikes!
            Robbie
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by kg993 View Post
              I am looking to buy a pair of Matchless's. One is supposed to be a 1963 350 street model, 80% complete, #'s start with G5. The other is a G 80 CS, looks to be about 60% there. Also a set of bare cases starting with 61 G2.
              How do I determine the years on the G5 and the G 80? I've searched for a # system but finally give up.

Thanks, Kerry
              The G5 (a 350cc version of the 250cc G2) was made from 1960-1962 but could be sold and titled in the US later on.
              As to the G80CS they were made from 1956 up to 1965. However, the practice of putting a two number code for the model year was stopped after 1963. the year of manufacture is then determined by the numbers after the "G80CS". By September, 1964 (end of 1964 and start of 1965 production) the engine number had reached G80CS 4958. By August, 1965 (end of 1965 production) the number was G80CS 5179. Thereafter, the model number was G85CS and by July, 1966 (the end of Matchless single manufacture) the number G85CS 296 had been reached.
              Hope this is of some help.
              I had a '57 AJS 18CS (AJS equivalent of the Matchless G80CS) long ago. Great all round motorcycle.

AFJ

Comment

the first 2 numbers are the year 61G3L is a 1961 48 G80S is a 1948

Comment

Thanks for the info, I decided last month there are too many parts missing to get the G80 going. It's the only one I was interested in but it goes as a lot. He has some good piecies there if anyone is looking.

Kerry
                  Kerry AMCA # 15911

Comment

Working...
                  X