Military G3L Model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military G3L Model

I purchased from eBay a Matchless G3L Military Model. The title from Australia says the bike is a 1942 model. The VIN is 73352. The engine no. on the title says 49.G3L11151. The bike was sold as a 1949.

I am assuming that the explanation is that the chassis is a '42 and the engine is a '49. Does anyone have access to a list with dating of Matchless VINs?

Roy

A frame number for a presumed WWII period Matchless G3L of 73352 could have been a bike which was part of a 1944 contract of 6,089 motorcycles made in 1944. Frame numbers ran from 73000 to 79088 and engine numbers from 90000 to 96088.

The engine number 49/G3L 11151 indicates a 1949 produced engine. 1949 frame numbers began with 35000 and 1950 frame numbers began with 47000.

If it is a military model (all had air cleaners - most civilian bikes did not) it is possible that the frame is 1944 and at some time post-war, the engine was replaced by a military workshop. This was commonly done to keep bikes in service by swapping to a rebuilt engine - then rebuilding the worn engine for the next bike needing overhaul.

Or else in building up a G3L sometime in the last 60 years somebody else has swopped the left side crankcase of the original bike for an available 1949 model.

AFJ

Comment

matchless dating service.

Hi Roy.
      I am a new member and I just saw your post. I have a 250cc matchless G2/CSR 1966 model that I brought over from england with me when I emigrated here. I can give you the name and address of the AJS and MATCHLESS dating service officer in england she should be able to help you. Her name is Mrs Pat. Huges and her address is. 17 Garfield Avenue. Draycott, Derbyshire, DE72 3NP ENGLAND. Tel/Fax 011 44 1332 874735 I hope this address and phone # are still current because it was a few years ago now that she dated my bike anyway you could give it a try and see what happens. Cheers Roland.

Comment

Much obliged

Thanks, I will write to her and let you know if the contact information is still current. Glad to have another Florida member participating.

Comment

Working...
        X