bsa carb uses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bsa carb uses

I have a 1971 a65 twin carb bsa lightning motor -> what is the correct card for this aplication

also have a 1968 a50 royal star motor single carb -> what is correct carb for this motor

any help apreciated
    aka hawg

If it is a 650, I believe twin Amals. Pa

Comment

I am sure they both use amal's but what size???

aka hawg

Comment

I just gave away an original shop manual on that model. I doubt the shop manual would id the size though. I'll go through some old photos and see if I can zoom in on the carbs casting data. Maybe they will help id the size. Paps

Comment

Went through my BSA engine pic stash. Polaroids. Nothing zoomable. Maybe the photo will help though. Disregard the top cover. I wanted to use the smooth one for appearance purposes but it lacked the motor mount. Had to go with the finned one. Paps

Comment

First time trying to upload a pic. Don't know what happened. Paps

If this didn't work, I'll need some tutoring.

Comment

I looked in my old Haynes manual. For '71 Lightnings up to May 1971 it shows Amal concentrics: R930/21 right and L930/22 left. Models made from May to December got an R930/70 and an L930/71. The manual doesn't go into years for the 500 twins but it looks like your Royal Star got a 376/321 monobloc. It also lists an R626/7 right hand type concentric but I'm sure that would have been for a later model.
              LOTS of Amals were ruined by overtightening the mounting nuts. The original nuts were the self locking type and were only meant to be snug. Overtightening would warp the mounting flange and body and cause the slide to bind. Eventually the slide and body would wear back in, become loose and allow too much air into the mixture. There is at least one shop out there that sleeves and re-machines these carbs. The ones I've seen worked great.

Comment

thanks for the info, that is exactly the info I was looking for.

now does anyone have any of these to sell??? so I can get these motors running, one is in frame right now one is on the bench.

bought the 650 at oley and chap that sold bike from new jersey was to mail me the 2 carbs for it, but to date has not sent them or replied to emails ( hint-hint you jersey boys could help )

aka hawg

Comment

Complete carbs seem to be getting harder to come by but I'll keep an eye out this weekend.
                  http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...Rally_2007.jpg
                  You might also try some of the British suppliers like DomiRacer, British Only or MAP Cycle, and I'd better mention my buddy Steve at Collins Cycle; http://www.collinscycle.com/index.html

Comment

Look up Roman Cycle. They are located in Youngstown, Ohio. Roman had a large stock of nos oem beezer parts for years. He may still have them. It is worth a try. Roman raced Beezers for years. Paps

Comment

Paps, John Roman used to come to our BSA club meet every year but I haven't seen him for awhile. He really knew his stuff. How is he? I hear his son is still running the business.
                      I talked with Steve Collins today and he told me that the 930 series concentrics are still available new and he has some in stock. About $175 each. When I think of all the possible problems with old ones, they're probably worth it. He also handles a nice single carb conversion kit. If an authentic restoration isn't a priority these are easier to tune and maintain. No new monoblocs but he may have an old one. I didn't see any complete carbs at the BSA club meet this weekend. Lots of parts though.

Comment

I think the ole man passed Kojack. Not certain, but I haven't seen him in many years in the shop. The shop moved to a new location. I would have posted their contact info if I had it updated in my files. They are no longer in the downtown area. Pretty sure they moved out onto US 224. Same area Harley Davidson of Youngstown relocated to when they left behind the Mahoning Avenue store in the downtown area. Roman always had a great stash of oem nos parts though. I no longer have any Brit bikes so I don't fequent them much anymore. I ought to stop in and say hi at least. It has been a while. One problem with stopping is the existance of those parts. I may find myself buying Brit parts for a future project. I'd have to deal with Me Ole Lady then. Lord knows I have to many undone ones in the works as it is. LOL Paps

Comment

You may find this usefull.This company has taken over the Amal and makes all models.
                          You can do a search for your spec.
                          Don't know if they have US agents but may do as they do SU's as well.

http://www.amalcarb.co.uk/default.aspx

If I can help this end let me know.

Comment

aka Hawg,

Have you tried British Cycle Supply in Nova Scotia? I've always gotten parts for my dreaded beezer from them....... I know a lot of guys switch over to Mikunis, but I'm stubborn on changing things.......I like peoples faces when you give an Amal a tickle and gas burbles out of the carb..........

Comment

thanks for all the replies

just purchased what I needed from ebay

there is a bike dealer near-by that deals through britsh cycle so I can go throgh him for the other needed items

aka hawg

Comment

Working...
                              X