Amal 276 rebuilders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amal 276 rebuilders?

Hello everyone. Can anyone recommend a rebuilder for an Amal 276 ES/1B? I know about in England, but I hate to ship it overseas. Im in PA. Thank you for any help. Brian.

Go to this web site amalsleeve.com We have used this compant & were very pleased & the price was good also.
    Cass
    Senior British Field Judge

Comment

Thank You Cass, I will check them out for sure. Brian.

Comment

Can anyone tell me what the 'suffix' means on an Amal 276AX or a 276FG? Thanks. Want to install the correct carb on my 1948 Triumph 5T Speed Twin, but not sure what the suffixes mean. Thanks!276FG.jpg

Comment

Each model had specific internal specs for the bike it was intended for, jet size, slide cutout, choke or not, needle , etc. The letter suffix was an internal code used to identify all those differences. Then there is the float chamber angle as well. Any will work if changed to the spec of the bike it is on, but only the correct suffix is correct.
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

A new Amal carb is not expensive. When I spoke to Burlen Fuel Systems regarding my 1939 model Triumph they told me that they had the original Amal factory records for my bike and the guy was able to tell me exactly what spec the carb was as supplied by Amal to Triumph for my bike back in 1939 (actually 1938 in my case). This included all the details mentioned by Rubone above. I am not sure how much new Amals cost in the USA but if I were you I would go for a new one unless the existing carb is 100% original and you want to keep it that way although even in that situation I would go for a new one for riding and keep the original one in case I ever wanted to show the bike in "original" condition.

John

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I'll order a new one. Too bad the gifted 276FG (pictured) won't work! Here is the feedback from the folks at Burlen regarding my application:

"The 276AX and 276FG are specification tags that identify which bike each carburetter was originally intended for. The 276FG carburetter is for a Thunderbird and has an 1 1/6" choke size against the 15/16" choke size used by the Speed Twin. We are making a small batch of the 276AX/1AT in the next couple of weeks."276FG.jpg

Comment

Hi sprangerny, I didnt have a decoder for the Amal letters but I did check both Bacons book and Woolridge's book and they both give spec's but not the letters stamped on the carb's.

However it seems like Burlen have already been able to sort you out.

I have left the pictures big so that you can see the text. I Woolridge's book the LH after the type should refer to which side the float chamber is.

It doesnt give the angle of the inlet but Burlen should know that or you could just measure it on your own bike (assuming its the correct inlet manifold)

John

Comment

I'm a little late in responding, but thanks for the information! Doug (just bought a 3T as a companion to my 5T).

Comment

Per Rubone's suggestion, I simply ordered a new one from Amal. Works great, right out of the box. But I don't have a dual-feed set-up. Does anyone know if there is a Banjo-style fitting for the bottom of a 276? I have the new one fed from the Left Side only, but it appears as if there is fuel remaining in the Right Side, despite draining all the fuel from the Left side of the tank. Would really like to get the fittings for dual-feed (like shown here).DualFeed.jpg Any ideas out there? The Amal people said they only supply the carburettor. Triumph apparently sourced these dual-feed fittings.

Comment

Anybody have a source for an Amal 275 "Air Slide Operating Lever" assembly? 20190303_142742.jpg

Comment

You might try Jerry Ficklin, the # I have is 317-758-4998 or nortonracer@earthlink.net he is located in Indianapolis In. he has a lot of British parts.

Steve

Comment

You can put a tee in the fuel line itself to feed from both tanks.

Comment

Working...
                          X