Ariel dirt track racing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ariel dirt track racing

Does anyone have any info on Roy Golf, a Michigan native who campaigned a '37 Ariel 500cc, #2e, dirt track bike in the late 30s-early40s ?? Judging from the "2e" plate number, he must have been pretty good. I'm looking for magazine articles, or AMA info.....charity newsie programs etc.

Thanks,

Tom

Have you got the bike? let's see a picture. I am always looking for info on these sorts of bikes as i have a few of them myself. I have lots of literature so maybe I can help.

Comment

Barry,

I have the bike, but I'm too "analog" to post pictures.

You can send me an e-mail, and I'll send you some...

Comment

ok.....I actually had a spare minute to figure this pic posting out. Actually it was the sizing that was eluding me.

There then...
        Attached Files

Comment

If you use photobucket this is what you get.
          PS I like the H-D kick pedal on it.
          Be sure to visit;
          http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
          Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
          Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

cool bike! the hemi Crocker in the background is kinda interesting as well!

Comment

Good eye Chris, ya know, a Harley part makes it 20% faster......
              I'm kind of surprised that people on this forum (who usually have plenty to say), have not been able to add any useful information. I e-mailed the AMA to try to get in touch with the right person to check on any history, but from what I understand they don't involve themselves in anything that doesn't make them a profit.
              So I called Al Knapp the other day. Apparently his AMA registers that he checked showed number 2e as James Cook, from Lansing Mi, who raced it in the early to mid 50s. Al remembers racing agaisnt him once or twice. Apparently Ray Golf was number 40, and was a Harley factory team guy. His name does appear on the envelope that the title came in, maybe Cook bought the bike from him. So now I'm looking for any info on James Cook..........he's gotta appear in a race program or something that somebody has.....

Comment

Working...
              X