Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '28 Raleigh

Hi
    I am a new member, and I am trying to locate any one that knows any thing about these bikes. And I need to find an oil pump if any one might have any leads, they would be great help.

Thanks
    D.

D.
    Had a raleigh 3 speed once .
    Unfortunatly there is not much British activity on this board. I have found some great BSA sites on the web and the Brits seem to enjoy chatting about their superb motorcycles. Did you look on any search engines for Raleigh sites.
    Cheers,
    Doug

Comment

YES!!! This stuff does exist in N. America (a rare bit of kit). Yes, we do have members that are knowledgeable in this area. (but not I). I'll ask a few folks for you.

VMCC has a library. And ...I also see they have water transfers for you. You must be a member.

What is your displacement? Of the engine that is.

Comment

Raleigh oil pumps

Hi there D,
        I can help you with an oil pump but need to know if you need a "Pilgrim" or a "Best & Lloyd". Both brands were fitted to Raleighs. Give me some mounting hole and oil feed hole location details and I should be able to sus something out for you.

Tommo

Comment

I had a sudden thought after posting the above.
          About 1928/29 Raleigh incorporated the oil pump in the outer timing cover and if yours is this type I won't be able to help you.
          The above is a pretty simplistic description but you should get the idea and all the pumps I have are the external bolt on type.

Regards, Tommo

Comment

'28 Raleigh

Hi
            Thanks for the responce.
            The Raleigh is a 1928 248cc model 15 de luxe. the bike has been restored to near mint condition but for the missing oil pump.

AdminGuy: what is the vmcc and how do I find their library?

Tommo: it does have the oil pump mounted it in the timing cover, well should have if I had one. But I am now in touch with the Prez of the Raleigh Club in London England & he said the pump materials tend to deteriorate with time and most people rely on the hand pump. Thanks for you help though.

This is know the oldest bike of five I own, before this one the oldest was a '51 dnepr that I traded for the Raleigh. I have always loved the old Iron and this has just fueled that fire even more & am already looking for another one.

Thanks
            D.
            Attached Files

Comment

The Raleigh club will hook you up. Everything deteriorates- restoreing it - is the fun part.

Congratulations! You have the bug.

I'm very happy to see that you were able to post a photo. Thanks.

VMCC is the main club in England. You have one uped me.

Comment

Yes they are a very nice looking motorcycle. This being the first Raliegh I have ever seen, except for the bicycle. Is that the same company I wonder?

Jim

Comment

You guys should all get yourselves a copy of Tragatsch's motorcycling bible "ENCYCLOPEDIA OF MOTORCYCLES". It gives a potted history of practically every motorcycle produced. It's not perfect but no one has produced anything thats better as far as I know. Updated versions come out on a regular basis.
                  Raleigh produced motorcycles from circa1899 to 1906 and then from 1919 till 1933 and yes it is the same company that made the pushbikes.
                  They also owned the company that made Sturmey- Archer engines, gearboxes and three speed hubs.
                  Raleigh eventually took over pushbike production of all the following brands, B.S.A./ Rudge/ Triumph/ Sun/ Carlton/ Mead and many others.
                  Now theres some trivia for you.
                  Tommo

Comment

Working...
                  X