Deluxe seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deluxe seat

Can someone tell me what seat was used on the 1922 Henderson Deluxe. . . And, who is doing a good recovering for that seat. A real bonus would be a picture of the seat frame-work. Thanks.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

A Mesinger # 3 ?

Comment

I think the Messinger#3 was mid 20s for the Henderson. To me, the seats for a K model and early Deluxe looks like some model of Troxel. The Henderson literature and parts books for the 22 Deluxe are quite vague calling the seat a "Deluxe" seat. I have a number of early seat frames that I can't identify and I am hoping I might be lucky and have the right one. However, some of those Troxel seats used a plywood base and I am suspecting the '22 Deluxe might be one of those models.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

Eric--Sorry, but I do not have any real info nor literature for the Hendersons. I do know that the Mesinger #3 was first patented in 1916 and later improved in 1925. The Troxel Jumbo ( maybe that is a deluxe?) was available (had a plywood base) as was the Troxel Truform. I don't know if the Persons King Comfort was as early as 22 but there would also be the Mesinger 1 and 2.--Michael--6671

Comment

Eric. I think this may be the seat you are refering to.I bought this seat thinking it was correct for a 1922 ACE but discoverd that it has a slight differnce.The rear mounting studs are about 1 inch further back than on an ACE seat.

Pete Reeves 860
          Attached Files

Comment

Pete--I don't think so. Looks like a Mesinger racing seat, but as always I stand to be corrected---Michael--6671

Comment

Paquette.
              I don’t agree with your Identification of this seat as Racing Mesinger. In appearance it is Identical to the 1922 ACE Troxel other than the position of the threaded studs and possibly the color.
              I have attached another picture that may help you change your mind.

Pete Reeves 860
              Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Pete, that answers many questions. I have some 1920 Henderson K literature that shows the Henderson K equipped with the Messinger Cushion Suspension Superba #1 which was used on 1920 (for sure) and '21 (I believe) Excelsior Big X's. I think the Big X went to the Troxel in 1922, in harmony with the Henderson. I'm sure quantity purchasing had a lot ot do with Schwinn using it on both bikes.

It was stated on the KJ Exchange that the Henderson Troxel had a 'Henderson/Excelsior Troxel' logo embossed on those thigh wingy things. In the same place where Pete's picture just has the embossed Troxel logo. I tend to think Pete's seat is a true Henderson and/or Excelsior seat and the Troxel logo is all that was embossed.

I've seen you work Michael and I sure wish you were doing seats like this.
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

I do them--Michael--6671

Comment

I have several of the correct original early deluxe seats. They are a Troxel Jumbo style seat and are identical to the Troxel Ace except color (all I've seen are black). They were specially made for Schwinn as they have the Excelsior/Henderson logo (same as the decal) stamped on the flaps where you typically see the Troxel stamp. These seats were also used on Big X's.

Comment

Originally posted by chicagohen View Post
                      I have several of the correct original early deluxe seats. They are a Troxel Jumbo style seat and are identical to the Troxel Ace except color (all I've seen are black). They were specially made for Schwinn as they have the Excelsior/Henderson logo (same as the decal) stamped on the flaps where you typically see the Troxel stamp. These seats were also used on Big X's.
                      Any chance you could post a picture of the seat logo. It's interesting how the Troxel Jumbo was used with minor variations on at least 3 motorcycle brands.
                      Eric Smith
                      AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
                      X