1922 Henderson - black parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1922 Henderson - black parts

Could someone please tell me where to find out exactly what parts should be painted black on a 1922 Henderson Deluxe? I have looked at photos and found some discrepancies. Thank you!

Henderson 1922 black parts

Hi,
    This issue was rised a while back on the Henderson exhange board (might be one-two years ago). All information you need should be found there, try thread 818 as an example.
    This states the black parts to be head lamp, tail light, horn and mag.

Regards
    Sverre
    Norway
    And then there is the idea that we are here on earth to get a certain amount of things done before we die.
    This is a great theory.
    If it is true, I am so far behind that I will never die...

AMCA-3489

Comment

Thanks Sverre,

I couldn't find the thread you were talking about.

How about the taillight bracket, seat hardware, clutch/brake pedals, linkage, rockers, handlebars, and rear rack?

Here is a before photo when it was painted with a dead chicken (several times). Someone had added the skirts on the front fender at some point. Motor was gone through two owners ago and has yet to be started.
      Attached Files

Comment

And here I thought the "dead chicken" look was pretty cool!
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

Best I know, there black - seat parts,rack, peddles,handelbars, tail light brackit,rockers. Linkage is nickle. Neat looking machine, hope your thrilled with it.

Comment

I had a series 20 Excelsior which was a companion to the Henderson and shared many parts but most importantly, they were finished identically. The frame and sheet metal was painted a "dark blue", or Packard Blue. This blue is so dark it's almost black. I use Martin Senour paint which you can get at NAPA. Their color code is DT8215, Suburban Blue. In the sun you see no hint of purple which is common with many dark blue colors. I believe this paint to be a spot on match for Packard Blue. As for black parts; starting at the front; fork rockers, handlebars, footboards, brake pedal, clutch pedal, horn, headlight, generator, mag, all seat parts, tail-light, rear stand, and clip. On my series 20 X I painted the handlebars blue. I saw a Swedish big X with blue bars and I thought it looked good.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

I sure appreciate the input!!! Well, the dead chicken look is ok, and I struggled with that. I would never repaint it if it halfways resembled what it was in the beginning. My plan is to leave the nickel as-is, re-paint the motor and the sheetmetal and make it a good rider.

I have seen some photos of reported "correct" bikes and it was hard to distinguish the black parts from the dark blue. I know the Packard blue is very dark, as my dad had a 1928 443 coupe. Unfortunately he sold the car when I was in high school and I didn't have the dough (or desire) at the time. He is now restoring his 1925 243 touring. He hasn't decided if it is going to be the Pack blue or the burgandy w/ black fenders. If you are a packard fan, stop by his shop if you are ever in the Black Hills, SD area. I digress, this is about motorcycles!

Thanks again for the info on the Henderson! I'll post photos when it is done. By the way, here is a buddy's '13 Henderson. He traded his '13 HD twin w/ orig paint to a guy out of Cali about 12 years ago. I rode the HD and almost bought it for 28k, but just couldn't justify paying that much! Times sure have changed... Not sure who got the better end of the deal on the trade, but the Henderson is a far more impressive bike to me than the HD. This bike was restored in the '80's.
              Attached Files

Comment

Another shot
                Attached Files

Comment

I know we shouldn't "covet thy neighbor's property", but I struggle with that everytime I see this bike!

Comment

It will be real great to see pictures of the bike when your done! I've got a bunch of rolls of film to develop, but I know in one of the rolls that there are pictures of a restored '22. If I ever get to the photo store to get them developed I will post them. They are indeed a wonderful machine. Your buddy's bike is a beaut. It's no wonder that Hendersons were referred to as elegant. I do think though I would have had a hard time letting the original paint H-D go, but that's just me.........
                    Cory Othen
                    Membership#10953

Comment

Back to the black/blue parts issue... before I started this post, I had emailed Steve Ciccalone, who I was told had access to, or knowlege of an orig paint deluxe.

I just received his reply, and he states that the only black parts were the headlight & bracket, footboards, taillight & bracket, brake / clutch pedals, and seat hardware.

His opinion was that the handlebars, rear stand, , rear rack, and rockers should be blue, not black as commonly restored today. He indicated some of these items changed to black about 1928.

I have looked through Henderson literature and came up empty.

So, I guess there are several opinions within the club... Any AMCA judges or others want to weigh in here? I would imagine that I would get docked pretty severely if I were to have it judged and had parts painted the wrong color!

Thanks again for the help!

Comment

It's not the best photo, but this one looks like it's all black. Can't say for sure it's original paint, but it kinda looks like it. Best of luck silentgreyfello! Your bike should make a nice rider.
                        Attached Files
                        Cory Othen
                        Membership#10953

Comment

Don't know much about Hendersons but this one really did it for me. It traded on Ebay a few months back.

Dave Swanson
                          1956 FLH
                          1969 FLH
                          1964 XLCH
                          1956 KHK
                          1936 VD

AMCA 11659

Comment

That is/was Steve Ciccalone's 1917 G model Henderson. Probably the finest original paint '17 on the planet. I saw it on Ebay but I don't recall if it met the reserve. That bike should have brought down some serious wampum.
                            Eric Smith
                            AMCA #886

Comment

I tried to hawk some bikes for that one, but it wasn't meant to be. I don't believe the auction met reserve, though went to 70+.

Comment

Working...
                              X