Henderson Deluxe "lurching"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Henderson Deluxe "lurching"

I took the Deluxe for a little spin yesterday, and noticed that the lurching I'd previously thought to be an intermittent misfire, seemed to be an interruption of power transfer. Sorta like a key that's sheared, but catching most of the time. It only happened in 3rd gear, but under a hard pull or deceleration.
    Is there a key or other part that would allow the motor to jump ahead and re-catch? In my experience, once a key shears, it doesn't keep catching this way.

Hello Rickeieio ,
    Doesn't sound like a sheered key , you wouldn't be able to pull away in first after a key sheers !! Have you tried a hard pull in second ? I know riding mine I hardly ever use first or second once away and from stop I change up pretty quick as third seems to be ok for almost any situation , so second doesn't get pulled so much !! Sounds more like 1/clutch slipping momentarily or 2/the carb running out of petrol and needing the break to 'top up' , sorry cannot be of any more help , hope you get it sorted soon , keep us informed , best of luck , Ken

Comment

I am with Ken, dont think its a key - also I think that would make some bad sounds when ridding to, plus like you said once its sheered its gone. When it happens does the motor sound right or is there missing going on?spitting or back firing? any new noices? Only happens in 3rd on a hard pull, that sounds like clutch slipping. I am totally guessing though, I think I would try posting in the engine trans section to for ideas. I think there is not enough of us Henderson guys on the net. Or another thing - try the Henderson web site, probably get lots of come backs there. Good luck, hope you figure it out quick - Tom.

Comment

It's not a carb isue. It's as though someone had hit the kill switch for a fraction of a second.

And I would think that if it were the clutch, it would be gradual in it's catching, not so abrupt.

It brings me back to my original thought that there's something amiss in the magneto.

It won't get much attention in the near future, as it's now resting comfortably, just inside the front door. She Who Rules, gave it her blessing.

Comment

MMMMM?? Did you ever have the mag rebuilt ?? maybe a good idea to if you didn't , especially as it's resting , not for too long I hope , does it just happen when the mag gets hot ? does it come and go or cut out completely ? Ken

Comment

It happens sporadically, as though a connection is being interreupted for a bit. Just as an electrical problem might indicate.

Hmmm, since the bike has only one wire, the kill wire, I might look at it and see if it could be rubbed and grounding occasionally.

I've never had the mag off the bike. I just bought it last winter, and it's worked fine, with this one exception. Perhaps a removal and inspection would be in order.

The Henderson will reside inside my front door until I get the itch to put something else there. I think mid winter I'll swap it out with a certain 6 cylinder Honda that followed me home.........

Comment

WHAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!! you can't do that !!!!! The Hens a proper motorcycle !!! how could you ever think of replacing it with one of those !!!!! yuk , hope your wife turns you out , waves a magic wand and turns you into a frog and sells you to a french restuarant !!!!!!
              Otherwise hope you do get the Hen running ok and enjoy , Ken

Comment

Ken.......you have my eyes watering and the ol' belly is a little sore from the howling that has gone on here.......... Let's hope that Henderson gets sorted out........

Comment

You better quit pick'n on me or I'm tell'n Mom........

Actually, I had a non-denominational garage. Twelve bikes, and the only two with pans under them are American made. The Henderson, and a Buell X-1. To be fair, the Buell is a total and should be drip free once re-furbished.

But I also have an eclectic group of other riders, including 3 CBXs, an old CB750k turned into a period cafe racer (836 kit with all the RC Eng. good stuff), a CBR-XX for traveling, and a KLR for work. And then there's the wife's bikes.

Don't you guys have bikes that you can tour or take day rides, besides the antiques? I got into the old stuff because my bikes aged. For instance, I bought the CB750 used in '75.

Comment

OH NO !!!! not the 'Mom' thing , I'm sorry !!!! Please forgive me .
                    My garage is non-denominational too , English (2) American (8) Italian (2) and that's as non-denominational as it gets and I ride my ''antiques'' from my 1904 to my 1942 on day runs and tours , no need or interested in anything more modern , my bikes do everything I want them to BUT agree that not everyone wants to take all day to do 250 miles , only ride small roads so sometimes takes longer but more scenic routes and find some great places !! Whatever you ride , hope you enjoy as much as I do , Ken
                    and everything has cardboard under to soak up the oil !!!!

Comment

My wife and I tour, plus we intend to spend a week or more next summer exploring southern Utah. Modern bikes serve that purpose better than our old stuff. But the grins are just as big whatever I'm on.

When I first brought the Henderson inside, I'd drained the tank, but had not drained the carb. Of course it dripped a bit and smelled up the whole house. I had to take it out on the porch and dry out the carb too before bringing it back inside. I have an old cake pan with some paper towels in it under the bike now.

Comment

rickeieio........glad to hear you think enough of that beauty of a Henderson of yours to bring it in for the winter. It's also good you can take a ribbin' about suggesting that you switch it's spot with a .......well let's leave it at that.... Seriously though a lot of us ride our old iron. Just as far in fact as a modern bike rider would take theirs. There was a UL this year in Davenport that had a little write up taped on it's front fender. It had been ridden out to Washington??? (I think.......) and back, with relatively minor mishaps. It had Molasses written on the top of it's ol' fatbobs. I love seeing that stuff....... Check out this site for a truly inspiring story of Indian Jeff and his ride to Sturgis. It gives me goosebumps every time I read it!!!!!!

http://www.onionwerks.com/seattle_to...s_and_back.htm

Comment

Summer of '05, I put together a little trip for the CBX club. Coast to Coast, or "C2C", via US 50. We did a toe dip in the Atlantic at Ocean City, Maryland, and 14 days later, we were in Santa Cruz, CA. We strayed from US 50 a bit towards the end, but had a great time, and met new friends.
                          Give me a year to get comfortable with the Henderson and we'll set up another tour........ Any suggestions?

Comment

Working...
                          X