Henderson electrics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Henderson electrics

I just couldn't stand to see goose eggs listed for posts under the Henderson banner, so I thought I'd ask some questions.
    1) Should I convert my '27 generator to a 2 brush system?
    2) Is there a concensus as to what battery to use? (acid v. gell v. AGM?)
    3) Will I fry my generator running the bike with no battery?

Glad to see something under Henderson - way to go Rick.
    I use a cheap ol Japan Battery, fits in the box nice + and just replace it every other year or so. I believe you need to ground the generator to protect it if no battery, double check with folks that know. I have to double check my questions and answers book again, I will pass on the generator question but watch the answers with interest. I use the same battery for several machines - it has worked fine so far. I converted my Sport Scouts gen, so I would stop boiling my battery over when I was running at freeway speeds for any distance. But I think the Hendesons gen is quite abit more scarce.
    Hope you really liking your Deluxe, good luck with it, Tom.

Comment

Well, the saga of the '27 continues........

I think I have the tire blow-out problem resolved, but I haven't ridden it yet. It's still holding 52psi after a week.

On the advice of Dick Winger, I removed the drive belt from the generator until I have wiring and a battery.. My brother, the upholsterer, watched as I removed the belt and commented that it's exactly the same as many sewing machines use. He stocks them.

I finally recieved the new wiring harness from Hummer, and a couple of the wires are tagged for one end to go to a switch. One of these is a rather short wire (< 12") with the other end tagged for the battery + side. Is there supposed to be a switch somewhere near the battery? Or is this wire supposed to run to the light switch? If so, it's too short.

I'm thinking of taking the bike up to Winger's museum one day and using one of his bikes to guide me in my wire routing. He's only about 2 hours away from me.

Comment

Dicks a great guy. Should be able to help you a great deal. Bring a camera, and tools.

Maybe your missing a part?

Comment

The early 27 and earlier DeLuxe had the light switch mounted on the backside of the battery box. As I recall your bike has a 28 style dash on it with the light switches mounted there so that short wire isn't applicable ... Perry

Comment

I was afraid this might happen. In the ordering instructions, it asked whether it was '27 or '28, and if the horn was fender or handlebar mounted.

I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that the fender mounted horn was late '27, as was the dash?

Perhaps I got the wrong harness? I thought it was a bargain, but if I have to re-make it, what was the point?

Comment

All I have read said your were right - early and late 27 - there was differences. Dick Winger will know for sure and should be a good time vissiting him too, have fun.

Comment

Took the Henderson out this evening for it's maiden voyage. Checked that problematic rear tire and it's still holding 50 psi. Cool.

It fired on the second kick, even though it hadn't been started in over a month. After about a full minute, I opened the choke and it idled perfectly. Clutch drags pretty badly, but I'm hoping that will free up with use.

Like the rookie I am, I sarted out in 3rd gear, and away we went. Realized my gear mistake immediately and put it in second for a bit. This shifting with my left hand is wierd.

Took it around the neighborhood for a while, then stopped over at my Mom's to show her. She just got back from "God's Waiting Room" (Florida) and hadn't seen it.

I really need to get the wiring done and the lights working. Then it's off to some local "Bike Nights" for some entertainment.

Now I have a question. The #2 cylinder exhaust gasket is leaking a bit. I'm guessing that it uses a flat piece of asbestos sheet for a gasket? I have some stock and can cut it out myself.

Comment

Congrats on your first ride on the deluxe, way to go. Everything I have read says the clutches were that way stock, most have been updated. Mine has and is pretty smooth, but I have never ridden a stock one to compare the difference. Glad to hear it went well.

Comment

You can cut em out, probably the others will fall apart when you pull it off. I would replace em all, also just a thought - check your valve caps every once in a while, just make sure their tight. One time one of mine was loose and I did'nt notice - untill going down the road one day - BOOM !!!! scared the heck out of me and thought my engine was toast. One of the valve caps had blown out, smashed the heck out of the underside of my tank.
                    Checked all of them and replaced the ones with questionable threads. Never thought about it when putting it together, I knew the threads were not to good, but they screwed down ok I thought. Just a heads up, check em for being tight. You dont want that boom between your legs :-) How do you like those handelbars? That was one of the big things I liked about the deluxes, have to get used to them but I like the way they feel too.

Comment

HEY CONGRATS!!!! Fun and scary at the same time. Gotta love it!

Can you wrap nylon plumbers tape around those cap threads? or a light smear of 1104 grey yamabond or whatever? maybe an o-ring?

Comment

I'll check the caps on the valves. I'd not even considered the fact that they are under pressure.

The handlebars are, uhhhh, different. This bike was obviously designed for an average rider of about 5' 7" and 140#, which I am not. Turning can be exciting when you have a knee for a steering stop. And I need to figure out an auxiliary spring for the seat to accomodate the enhanced gravitaional pull Mother Nature has given me.

But it sure is fun. I told my wife it's better than sex. She didn't think that was funny.

Comment

I believe the hends did have heavyier springs avail. They were called "chubby springs" I think. A heavier guage spring I think.

Tom?

Comment

Chubby springs? I'm not sure I like the sound of that. I prefer to think that I'm just short for my weight. I'm 6'1".......

Comment

Har..har......rick.......I'm short for my weight too....... On the weekend a string-bean friend of mine told me to take his WLC out for a spin. He's got a long dirt driveway that has more than it's share of pot holes, suffice it to say I bottomed out a few times before I hit the pavement!!! I told him that he would have to stiffen up the ol' spring tension before he let me ride it again, if he wanted any paint left on his fender!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X