frame / handlebar identification help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• frame / handlebar identification help

IMG_3060.jpg IMG_3054.jpg IMG_3053.jpg IMG_3062.jpg IMG_3055.jpg Hello all, new member here. I found these in a rock pile near my house and believe they are 1915-17 Excelsior but would really appreciate any resident experts to weigh in with identification help. Thank you in advance. This is a great site!

I would say it is not a 1915 as the shifter mechanism was on the right side of the tank for 15 models. Your frame has the new style shifter stud on the left side which started with Series 16. Definitely pre Series 18, when the removable lower tank bar came out. Some things to look at for a better idea:

1: There is a serial # stamped on the top of the seat post casting, immediately behind the threaded hole for the seat post bushing. It will be 3, 4 or 5 numbers and below that a single digit. The single digit indicates the year the frame was made. Example as follows indicates frame # 12345 made in 1917.

2. The 4 holes in the frame for the through studs holding the engine and transmission plates changed by 1916, or thereabouts. All of the studs used to sandwich the engine and transmission plates to the frame were 3/8" studs in 1915. The Series 16 and up machines used 7/16" studs.

3. The 1915 only model used a compression release actuated by the throttle linkage. Near the top of the front down tube motor mount casting, right side was around cast boss that stuck up about 1/2" or so and was threaded inside for a bolt. The linkage pivoted on this boss. The Series 16 and up used a compression release actuated by the kick starter so this boss was not needed. However, some Series 16 model frames still used this casting but the boss was cut off, leaving just the base of the boss, flush with the rest. I can't tell for sure, but it looks like the remains of the boss are there, having been cut off. It it is taller and has a threaded hole, it is a very early Series 16. If it is cut off, later Series 16. Also, the 15 linkage setup had a 3rd hole in the lever that pivoted in the frame casting at the front, lower right side of the tank. 16 and up only used 2 holes. It looks like a 2 hole lever, which would also indicate Series 16 and up.

So, I would guess you have a Series 16 frame and handlebars. God stuff, both look pretty straight and will clean up nicely with sandblasting and look much better!

Comment

The serial # example got edited when I posted my reply and I can't change it! The lower single digit is always centered under the upper sequence, not off to the side as my example shows.

Comment

After sharing this with Benjamin Binns in Australia, he pointed out that it is most likely a Series 17, that being the only year with both the left side shifter atud and the non removable tank bar.

Comment

Thanks to Gene mentioning this post I decided it was time to join the AMCA again after quite a few years absence.

I can confirm that this is definitely a 1916 Series 17 frame. froidian If you ever consider selling the frame and handlebars I would be very interested as I have essentially every other part for a Series 17 other than a frame!

Cheers Benjamin Binns

Comment

I want to thank you both for the help. Although I have previously scrubbed this thing looking for a serial #, there it was as described and it is a "7". Another question: Is yellow the original frame color? It sure looks OEM. Thanks again!

Mr. Binns: I sent you a PM
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

froidian that is very interesting indeed! The Series 17 was replaced by the Series 18 in late 1916. The "7" on the frame indicates a year of manufacture of 1917, now you would expect a 1917 frame to be that of a Series 18, or if late in 1917 it may be a Series 19 (confused yet lol), but in this case it is definitely a Series 17 frame. Fairly simple explanation for that, Excelsior often offered the previous year model into the following year, obviously they didn't want to through out good parts, and the easiest way was to use them up was by continuing to run out the old model.

The original color was grey with pinstripes in dark blue. I expect this frame has been repainted.

Comment

Working...
              X