Berlinger E-41 mags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Berlinger E-41 mags

My magneto expert showed up with this, Folks!

Berling E-41 a.jpg

Berling E-41 c.jpg

Berling E-41 b.jpg

He said it was Indian, but I told him it smelled like a Hen.

(I'd rather be lucky than good. Any info at all would be greatly appreciated!)

Maybe he has two; If anybody's excited, let me know...

...Cotten
    PS: Please note the wrench flats cut into the lower timing head, where it would advance and retard against detentes.

I suggested the flats were to accept a simple spanner, but my associate thinks perhaps there was an attached mechanism?
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 09-17-2022, 02:52 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

That is a Henderson Berling magneto used on 1918-19 Hens, and made available in a reversed direction for 1920 and later Henderson Ks, and Deluxes. 1917 and earlier used the Berling N-44 which was the most beautiful magneto ever made (but still a nightmare). The flats on the timer are the cams for the points, the advance/retard arm has been cut off but it's base is still there and visable in your first pic on the left side of the time housing. As I stated, the N-41 was used on the last of the Detroit style Hens, but available (reversed) for the later K motor. First pic is the N-41, second pic is the N-44. . . I hope Thanks for posting that, Tom. the forum is so Harley-centric that I swoon when I see anything else.

he4.JPG

magg.jpg
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

The first difference I notice, Eric,...

Is the Bakelite-knobbed advance handle.

How in the Hell do you reach it?

....Cotten
      Last edited by T. Cotten; 09-17-2022, 07:52 PM.
      AMCA #776

Comment

The bakelite knob is for the kill switch, The broken arm I mentioned is the adv./ret. lever which is cable operated from the left side handlebar control. Some owners would install an aftermarket handlebar mounted kill button but Berling provided the direct kill button on the timer housing. I've noticed that early 4 cyl. Simms magnetos look very similar to the E-41.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

If anybody needs one or two, Folks,...

Please email me direct at liberty@npoint.net. They are in progress of reconditioning.

(Not sure Phil has an email; Either I see him at the grocery, or he shows up in the alley.

Can't wait to tell him I smelled right.)

....Cotten

AMCA #776

Comment

Thanks for posting that, Tom, you have a good eye (and nose). I could be a player, but your friend would probably do well on ebay as there are quite a few early Hens in Nordic countries, Western Europe, and Austrailia.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

Phil explained to me, Folks,...

How he re-cuts the rotor or whatever..

I kinda clouded up.

But I suggested Bruce A. could conjure new caps. This one looked like a candidate for a pattern, at most, but Phil will likely make it fire anyway.

....Cotten
              PS: I think this might have been the earliest piece of ZAMAC that I have smelled.

The bolt holes were all stripped, and Phil asserted he preferred slugging them to inserts,... So I doubt he's an ebay fan: Wrong demographics.
              Last edited by T. Cotten; 09-18-2022, 03:51 PM.
              AMCA #776

Comment

Can't blame him for his opinion about ebay. I have a couple of spare distributor caps but they are rare, like perfect Schebler bodies. Thanks for your comments, Tom and thanks for all the things you share on this forum.
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

Is it too late to edit off the 'er' from 'Berlinger', Folks?

It only proves how little I knew, and appreciate what I have learned!

Thanks!

....Cotten
                  Last edited by T. Cotten; 09-19-2022, 04:12 PM.
                  AMCA #776

Comment

Working...
                  X