1917 Henderson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1917 Henderson

I've had this 1917 Henderson for about 25 years. It was a mess when I got it, and I put tons of work, and love into it. I'm prejudiced, but I think it is one of the most beautiful motorcycles ever made. Right now it's covered up, in a garage and I haven't seen it in over a year so I thought I would over-ride the "cut-off Henderson" post that has been on the forum for a long time and put up this pic of my Henderson so I can look at it from time to time. Yeah, Kind of self centered, but at least I can see it here on the forum.
    Last edited by exeric; 10-24-2021, 09:25 AM.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Eric, for some reason the picture didn't come through, just a bunch of characters. I'm sure I'm not the only one who is eager to see your bike. Can you please repost?
    Eric Olson
    Membership #18488

Comment

yes, please post the picture
      AMCA #41287
      1971 Sprint SS350 project
      1982 FXR - AMCA 98.5 point restoration
      1979 FXS 1200 never done playing
      1998 Dyna Convertible - 100% Original
      96" Evo Softail self built chopper
      2012 103" Road King "per diem"
      plus 13 other bikes over the years...

Comment

Don't mean to step on your post Eric, but You posted these years ago, and i'm still drooling--hahaha. I'll delete these after You post Eric.

*M.A.D.*
        marhen2_zps5153ccc9.jpg
        marhen5_zps35d246c1.jpg
        image_2128.jpg
        image_1845.jpg
        Last edited by JoJo357; 10-24-2021, 12:07 AM.

Comment

That is a beautiful motorcycle! You do fantastic work, Eric!

Dale

Comment

I deleted the characters under the pic so we'll see if that helped. If not, here's another picture. febb.JPG
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

It's got lights now! Very nice!

Dale

Comment

Eric, that's beautiful! I'm certain there's boatloads of your "sweat equity" into it and it shows....what a great job, you should be justifiably proud of it!
                Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Wow, is that nice. I’d have to print that onto one of those giant canvas prints and put it on the living room wall right above the couch, at least until my wife had something to say about it.

Comment

Definitely a bike worth showing off! Thanks for restoring it and sharing it with the rest of us. I'm not very knowledgeable on early Henderson's. Is the one in this photo the same year? It looks like the rear leg of the front fork is a little different (at least the three stripes I see), but a lot of the rest looks similar. Can you tell what year it is?

Charles Lee on motorcycle.jpg
                    Eric Olson
                    Membership #18488

Comment

Always enjoy looking a one of your beautiful Hendersons. Thanks for putting the pictures up for us.
                      Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Originally posted by EricOlson View Post
                        Definitely a bike worth showing off! Thanks for restoring it and sharing it with the rest of us. I'm not very knowledgeable on early Henderson's. Is the one in this photo the same year? It looks like the rear leg of the front fork is a little different (at least the three stripes I see), but a lot of the rest looks similar. Can you tell what year it is?

Charles Lee on motorcycle.jpg
                        Thanks Eric; The Henderson in the picture is a 1919 which is the last year for the Detroit type Hen.(followed by the Model K in 1920). The 1918 and '19 were almost identical but the 1919 had enough Schwinn Excelsior content to differentiate years (and screw the Henderson Bothers out of their royalty agreement).However, there is no hard line on years with Excelsior products as they went more by 'Series' with year as a secondary identifier. In the case of the bike in the picture, I can see it has the Excelsior Double Brake assembly, which gave it the ability to stop slightly better than a 1918 Hen.
                        Eric Smith
                        AMCA #886

Comment

This is a picture of my 1919 Henderson. Since this picture was taken, I spent years tracking down all the electrical items to make it a full electric Henderson. It used a General Electric generator which is the rarest of the rare old parts you could hunt for.

Copy of 19f.jpg
                          Eric Smith
                          AMCA #886

Comment

Thanks for the details Eric, and for sharing a picture of your 1919 Henderson. Must be quite a sight to walk into your shop and see both of your Henderson's in there. A beautiful pair of bikes for sure!
                            Eric Olson
                            Membership #18488

Comment

Working...
                            X