1917 Henderson spoke length

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1917 Henderson spoke length

Does anyone know the spoke length for rear wheel on a 1917 Henderson ?? My new project has 10.5 inch spokes but they are between 1/8th and 3/16ths short of the top of the nipple . Doesn't seem right to me . Many thanks .
    I know it's a bit early but soon be here so Hope you all have a great Christmas and hope the new year is far better than this one !! Ken
    Ken

Good to see a post from you, Ken. I just measured some original spokes from my 1916 Excelsior, and my 1917 Henderson and they measure 10.562". It's possible they could have been longer when new, and ground flush to the head of the nipple when they were laced into the rim, however, the 10.562" dimension is common for Ex/Hen standard CC rims, and hubs of that vintage. Shy 1/8" from the head of the nipple isn't horrible, but 3/16" is too much, so I understand your concern.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Hello Eric , That extra sixteenth could make all the difference . Can I ask one more thing ? did you measure over the total length of the head to tip of threads as I did ? sorry , should have asked this in the first place ! Or from the inside of the curve to thread tip ? Many thanks , Ken
      Ken

Comment

I measured from the center of the hook, to the end of the threads. Also, I have used original nipples that are a bit longer than other nipples from that period. Attached is a picture of the early nipple.

spoke nipple.jpg
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Thanks ! that makes it worse as I measured from the outer side of the hook !
          I have all old style early American nipples . I'll work something out !
          Thanks for your help and quick replies Eric . very , best wishes . Ken
          Ken

Comment

Working...
          X