• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack Lilly's Crocker

https://forum.sscycle.com/viewtopic....101170#p101170

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Great research helping to dispel a bit of the huge amount of BS perpetrated by the Crocker Mafia !

Comment

I still think the Knucklehead was a better engineered, better built, and better looking bike, but you can't deny the charisma of the Crocker. That was an interesting article. Thanks, Tom.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

I hope some Folks didn't miss https://forum.sscycle.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=13109

....Cotten
        AMCA #776

Comment

Homer Wood ( who bought #4 the first Crocker twin sold) told me that Al Crocker regretted incorporating the transmission housing into the frame after he examined a late 1930's Burman 4 speed foot shift box. Bent shifter forks were a problem as was lack of proper crankcase oil scavenging. Otherwise excellent enclosed primary drive was similar to Indian and it can be argued that cast aluminum tanks were a plus, high placed camshaft meant less valve train reciprocating weight and extra thick cylinders assured little bore distortion and allowed for large oversizes but almost all were 61 inch. The first 24 had hemi heads some of which cracked and rocker lubrication was dicey. Anecdotal evidence suggests that the first years production were prone to speed wobbles as the frame on #14 ( last 1936 made) had the rake crudely changed to possibly correct this. Don Doody confirmed this with stories of the early ones he was familiar with. Frames also broke at the right rear lower chain stay which is why I added a vertical strut on each side of my "bitsa" special copying the Indian Scout Al Crocker really did something amazing creating what he did on a shoestring.

Comment

Excellent reading & Thanks for the articles Mr. T...

*M.A.D.*

Comment

Originally posted by JoJo357 View Post
              Excellent reading & Thanks for the articles Mr. T...

*M.A.D.*
              Don't thank me, *M.A.D.*,

Thank the author!

....Cotten
              AMCA #776

Comment

Working...
              X