No announcement yet.

old motorcycles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please bear with me. I'm the "new kid" and perhaps don't fit the profile of the typical old bike owner.
    I've been riding bikes since dirt was new, but never had an antique bike until recently. Unless you count the CB750 Honda that I bought used in '75, now a period cafe racer, or the newer Honda CBXs out in the garage.
    That said, I recently fell in love with a '27 Henderson Deluxe. Actually, my wife fell in love with it and twisted my arm until I brought it home.
    Did I find it at a "big money auction"? Yup, Las Vegas last month. Did I run it up to sky-high prices? Nope, I took a slingshot to a gunfight, so couldn't bid. Will I hoard it and brag about how much I paid? Nope again. I've already ridden it, and once I have the wiring sorted, it will be run regularly. I'll own no garage queens.
    I was lucky enough to be befriended by Dale Walksler, who guided me through the purchase and sorting of this bike. He even let me take it to his place last week to change the tires and clean the carb, checking the bike thoroughly for loose fasteners or worn bits. It shows 49k on the clock and still has good compression. It's missing no parts, looks like it was found under a tarp in a barn last week. I suspect it was restored perhaps 40-50 years ago.
    So to those of you who are worried that all the old bikes are being retired, fear not. This one has been brought into a loving home to be used as the builders intended.

Comment

Well Mr. eieio........ I hate to be the first one to tell you that you have just been afficted with a very.....very......very.....serious addiction. I'm afraid that it may be something that you will never recover from

Good on ya for scooping the Henderson........some pics would be nice, so the rest of us can have drool over it!!!

Comment

Right on Rickeieio, with Dales assist I think you cant go wrong. Your going to love the deluxe, I have put 4,000 miles on mine since done in 97 and sure love it. At about 40 mph just cruising - it feels like it will last forever ! Good luck with yours, Tom.

Comment

That is a nice Bike Rick. Good job! Look forward to some pics.

Comment

It's a new experience. I've had street bikes since about '70, but they've all been Hondas except for the KLR Kaw. This spark advance on the left/foot clutch/hand shift is......, different.
            But after spending a little time with some AMCA folks in Las Vegas, and getting to know Mr. Walksler and some of his cronies, I can see I'm going to enjoy this.
            I'm hoping to have the '27 ready to ride by June. By ride, I mean a comfortable 200 mile day. I hope to have compete electrics with lights that will allow me to return home in the dark. I'm toying with experimenting with LED marker/turn lights which could be easily removed. Also perhaps some sort of 6v driving lights. I'm sure some of you have already done this. Anything I add would have to be done in such a manner that when removed would leave no evidence......
            The only other issue with the bike is the lack of suspension in the seat. If I were "normal", i.e. 5' 10" & 170#, it would be fine. But the springs bottom out when a 300# doofus hops aboard.
            I'l post some pics when I bring the bike home. It's gonna be an "X" rated garage, with the CBX and CBR-XX.

Comment

Found a site where you can see some pics of my bike, taken before I bought it. Ignore his asking price. I'm crazy but I ain't stupid. Well, maybe a little stupid.

http://michaelsmotorcycles.com/

I've done a lot of rubbing and fiddle'n with the bike since these photos were taken. It looks a lot better now, though it still has plenty of battle scars.
              Can someone advise me as to whether the engine was originally painted? I've seen a lot of "restorations" w/ painted engines, some in blue, some black. And the original brochure calls for grey wheels. All the Henderson 4s I've seen have either blue or yellow wheels.

Comment

rickeieio,
                GREAT bike!!!! Congratulations on being biten by the bug! Be careful as the passion will develop into an obsession. With regards to price, the late Fleming Horne told me years ago....you can't pay too much.....but you can buy too early.
                Best regards
                johnny

Comment

hello rickeieio , fabulous looking bike Rick , only thing I can see wrong is the reverse lever flat spring should be on the inside of the outer gate bar , hope you are not going to destroy this lovely machine by ''restoring'' it , it's great as it is , I think the cases were orriginally painted but looks good as is , you will love the way this bike rides , I've done over 21000 miles on my '26 Deluxe and never regreted one mile of it , even when it 'ceased to proceed' on the odd occasion , have fun , Ken

Comment

Rick.........please.......please.........leave the bike as is. It's got soul right now and "fixing" it up would change it forever........ It's a beautiful machine.........your a lucky man!!!

Comment

rickeieio - really great looking DeLuxe! The cases should be painted dark blue like the sheetmetal, but they look fine as is (personally I like the natural cases). The wheels changed from grey to yellow/cream in 1925. If you're referring to a brochure that says grey wheels it's much too old to apply to this bike. I see the bike has reverse installed. You may want to disconnect that rod, not only to keep from accidentially engaging it but that would also allow the outer "shifter" to be used as a hand clutch. Nice period accessory choke control setup. Finally, that style dash is generally considered a 1928 feature but you have a high numbered 27 so may be correct. All in all a really worthy mount. Well done! ... Perry

Comment

The only things I've changed has been the tires and oil. I've spent a lot of time with Kroil and a rag, and an old toothbrush too. I have no intention of "restoring" this bike. That would make it un-usable.
                        I'm a bit confused about the idea of disconnecting the reverse rod. Is the clutch tied into the lever?
                        The brochure Dale Walksler had spoke of the grey wheels along with the new sixe 3.85 x 20 tires. Would this indicate the '25 model year for that brochure?
                        My bike is serial numbered as a '27, but the title says '28.
                        The photos show a lot of missing pieces, but they are now on the bike.

Comment

Hi rickeieio , the reason the title may say '28 is the bike was a late model and didn't sell till early '28 and therefore registered as a '28 , the reverse lever (the outer one) as yours is set up is aslo used as a clutch lever when the reverse is not connected , most solo machined would use this as the hand clutch lever but was used as reverse when a sidecar is attached , when in clutch lever mode the rod from this lever to the reverse arm from the gearbox is disconected , and an ''L'' shaped bracket bolted onto the foot clutch pedal so when the large hand lever is moved forward this ''L'' bracket catches the lever and depresses the foot pedal operating the clutch , I will try and attach a couple of pics of the pedal bracket , the only thing that would enhance this very lovely bike is miles , happy riding , Ken
                          Attached Files

Comment

rickeieio , another pic , sorry do not know how to do multiple pics on here ?????????????? anyone ???? , Ken
                            Attached Files

Comment

and lastly , but if you want more , just ask , Ken
                              Attached Files

Comment

Ken,
                                Thanks for the pics. Now I understand how that would be done.
                                I have a lot to learn about this old machine. Fortunately, it's very intuitive. It's not that much different than the agricultural machinery I grew up with. Of course, that's assuming that I've grown up.
                                I'm thinking about taking this bike to Daytona for Bike Week. Of course I'd have to finsh the wiring first.

Comment

Working...
                                X