No announcement yet.

old motorcycles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I too like the "gutless men" quote. But it should read "gutless men with big mouths and bigger wallets".
    There are a lot of non riders out there but I must admit there is also some interested in riding the old bikes. I had a local old car guy contact me that just bought a 1916 Thor twin and knew nothing about it. I supplied him with a few contacts and showed him the workings of the carb, clutch, decompression,oiling system and promised to be there to assist in starting when ready. But he plans to RIDE it like he does his model T and other old cars. So I don't mind helping him out.

Comment

This thread has been the last straw for me. The way you guys **** off people who had the foresight to save this stuff from distruction is unreal and up until now I have resisted from putting my surplus parts and bikes on ebay, far prefering to swap or trade it with true enthusiasts but as from now you have made a decision for me and all my stuff will be on ebay and trade me from now on and I will have to consider very seriously if I want to still belong to a club that has members with this type of attitude.
      Tommo

Comment

I thought we were having fun here. I certainly didn't think anything we said was that offensive. As for rich people running up the prices of old motorcycles, that's a foregone conclusion. It happened MAN ! It's only natural that working class people are going to feel excluded and marginalized when someone saves a 1908 Harley from destruction by paying $300,000 + for it.

Comment

Wow!!! Is it just me or is it getting hot in here? I too agree that it is a little frustrating that our passion/hobby has gotten to the point that if your a seller you have it made. If your a buyer without huge dinero you don't have a hope. I do not think that anyone intended to assault those that had the foresight to preserve the old iron. The one's that did should be commended in my opinion. We all know that way too many machines went to the scrap yards and garbage dumps of our nations. There is however a little bit of frustration at the folks who gobble up precious old machines just for investment or conversation pieces in the den. The people who do have vast collections and share the viewing of them with others are exempt from this criticism I think. I was at a swapmeet this past weekend and was lucky enough to pick up a milk crate full of 70's/early 80's Walneck's magazines. I nearly weap at the ads that read "belt-drive '12 Harley single $1200" I was too young to invest in such machines then. I also unfortunately stumbled upon this addiction on my own and didn't have the opportunity to learn and or obtain passed down machines from my senior relatives. I do envy those that had the chances before antique bikes became a fad. But hey it had to happen to somebody and good on the ones that had the chance. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that the prices have inflated exponentially. For those of us who have seen our someday "dream" machines put out of our reach it is only natural to whine a little bit.

Hey Eric,I'm also interested in seeing a pic of the Merkel. Early stuff rules

A Thor eh Louie? Maybe you can ask the fella to let you take a picture so the rest of us can drool a bit.......

Comment

The early bikes (pre-16) are the coolest but for a young (or poor old guy) a lot of fun can still be had on the cheap by going to Jap bikes.

And isn't fun what it's all about?

Comment

60/70's Jap bikes are ok, but I don't know, call me a 'Peckerhead', but what about the venerable old Harley Sportster Ironheads.

From the moment these bad boys came onto the scene in '57 they've been tearing up the streets!

These are great motorcycles with an exceptional Racing history.

Don't let anybody BS you, Sportsters are fast and reliable and you can elect to restore them or modify them into any type of motorcycle style you can imagine.

I've owned and built several over the years and they have never let me down!! And believe me I can abuse a motorcycle!!

Unless your a real twit and don't know your ass from your elbow, these bikes are pretty damn forgiving and easy to work on.

I don't know what it is, but the Sportsters always comes out lookin 'right' in any style you build them and nothing sounds like a Sporty when its 'spot-on' tuned.

Ironhead Sporties always get a bad rap, which is ok by me cause god forbid they become 'In' with the money folks. What the hell would all us poor young (old) guys do. Its still the only affordable old 'American' motorcycle left.

You can still find complete and running early 'Ironhead' Sportsters for under $3500.00 (and lots of parts!!) Hrdly

Comment

Originally posted by Hrdly-Dangrs
                60/70's Jap bikes are ok, but I don't know, call me a 'Peckerhead', but what about the venerable old Harley Sportster Ironheads.

From the moment these bad boys came onto the scene in '57 they've been tearing up the streets!

These are great motorcycles with an exceptional Racing history.

Don't let anybody BS you, Sportsters are fast and reliable and you can elect to restore them or modify them into any type of motorcycle style you can imagine.

I've owned and built several over the years and they have never let me down!! And believe me I can abuse a motorcycle!!

Unless your a real twit and don't know your ass from your elbow, these bikes are pretty damn forgiving and easy to work on.

I don't know what it is, but the Sportsters always comes out lookin 'right' in any style you build them and nothing sounds like a Sporty when its 'spot-on' tuned.

Ironhead Sporties always get a bad rap, which is ok by me cause god forbid they become 'In' with the money folks. What the hell would all us poor young (old) guys do. Its still the only affordable old 'American' motorcycle left.

You can still find complete and running early 'Ironhead' Sportsters for under $3500.00 (and lots of parts!!) Hrdly
                True!

I think you've made a great case for the Ironhead Sporty being the (affordable) underdog of the H-D world. There's LOTS of parts at swapmeets begging to be carried away at (relatively so) bargain prices. Also lots of accessories and literature too. You're onto something about the pre-alloy Sportsters if you want American-made. You see them for sale WAY lower than any other v-twin Harley.

Plus the Sportster has an interesting developmental history behind it too not to mention that Elvis owned one! There was even an Army variation. I wonder if any of those survived? Also that 1976 "Liberty" edition with the cool graphics, etc.

Comment

I cut my teeth at 18 years of age on a '77 XLH. That bike ripped! I had a lot of fun on it and many a shovel rider watched my taillight disappear into the distant horizon!!!

Comment

Oh how I do love to stir the pot a little bit.

Comment

merkel

Merkel Frame
                      Attached Files

Comment

Merkel motor
                        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Eric! Very cool indeed!!!

Comment

I told you it wasn't much to look at. It's embarrassing how unfinished it is considering how long I've owned it. One problem with old bikes is finding parts. When you find the part, it's never for sale. It's always a trade only deal. For instance, I was missing the oil dripper that mounts to the frame. A guy in California had one and of coarse it was trade only. He knew I had a spare single motor and said that was the only thing he would take for the oil dripper. That was about 12 years ago. . . . I hope he's not still waiting by the phone.

I've been thinking of painting this bike the optional dark blue. I remember the Merkel Steve Brandt did many years ago and it was quite attractive. I would be interested in the opinions of my fellow club members. Blue or Orange ?

Comment

Well, orange is somewhat synonamous with the Merkel. So naturally I would think that blue would be the one I'd choose. That's just me though.........

Comment

Thanks for the Merkel photo's, super neat. You have some super neat machines Eric. Ive been playing with old two wheelers since the mid 80's and have been in the amca that long. But I have still never saw or heard a Flying Merkel actually running - going down the road. Never made any of the big meets yet, or a pre 16 run. Sure would like to make one of them, maybe next year. I have seen an orange one in a museum and I know a guy with one that looks original in a burgandy color - dont know if they ever came in that color though. I would say a Merkel - Orange :-) Thanks again for the photos.

Comment

Working...
                                X